Hezbollah ignites blowback from its base as over 1 million flee war with Israel – The Washington Post
- Hezbollah ignites blowback from its base as over 1 million flee war with Israel The Washington Post
- The sum of all fears for Lebanon Financial Times
- Lebanon war leaves a classroom of children hurt or dead every day, UN says Reuters
- Fearing Israeli strikes, a Druze village screens for Hezbollah militants among Lebanon’s displaced France 24
- Fear and defiance in southern Lebanon city as Israel-Hezbollah war intensifies BBC
Celebrations in Morocco but devastation in Senegal after Africa Cup of Nations decision
How Los Angeles’s Iranian diaspora is confronting the US war on Iran
The EU’s Hungary problem won’t be solved even if Viktor Orbán is ousted
The bloc’s foremost troublemaker could lose April’s election, but the headaches he’s caused will not necessarily disappear with him
• Don’t get This Is Europe delivered to your inbox? Sign up here
How do you solve a problem like Viktor Orbán? By crossing your fingers and hoping it disappears in just over three weeks’ time. But even if the European Union’s disruptor-in-chief is ousted in elections next month (which is far from certain), Europe’s Hungary problem is unlikely to vanish overnight.
EU leaders will gather in Brussels on Thursday and Friday for yet another summit that will be at least partly hijacked by Orbán, Hungary’s illiberal prime minister.
Continue reading...Looking for leverage: China keeps close eye on US politics after summit delay
Beijing seeks to decipher effect of Iran war on US midterms and best way to apply pressure when Trump meets Xi
The White House said on Wednesday that China had agreed to postpone Donald Trump’s visit to Beijing, as war in the Middle East rages on, complicating the US president’s position at home and abroad.
China has not yet commented on the delay to the highly anticipated trip, in which Trump and the Chinese president, Xi Jinping, will meet in person for the first time since October. Trump previously said he hoped to delay the trip, originally scheduled to run from 31 March to 2 April, for “five or six weeks”.
Continue reading...Quantum pioneers win Turing Award for encryption breakthrough
Trump said the U.S. would “run” Venezuela and sell its oil. Now it’s starting to happen – Fortune
- Trump said the U.S. would “run” Venezuela and sell its oil. Now it’s starting to happen Fortune
- US extends protection of Venezuela-owned Citgo from creditors Reuters
- News Wrap: U.S. eases sanctions on Venezuela's state-owned oil company PBS
- U.S. eases Venezuela oil sanctions as Trump seeks to boost oil supply during Iran war NBC News
- US relaxes sanctions on Venezuela’s PDVSA amid global energy squeeze Financial Times
Trump wants to overthrow the Cuban president
King Charles greets Nigerian president in Windsor sunshine
Iran threatens to strike Gulf energy facilities after South Pars attack
Prosecutors seek more than seven years in jail for son of Norway’s crown princess
Marius Borg Høiby accused of 39 offences, but denies the most serious charges of four rapes
Marius Borg Høiby, the son of Norway’s crown princess, should receive more than seven years in prison if he is found guilty of 39 offences, including four rapes and assaults, according to prosecutors.
On Wednesday, the penultimate day of the more than six-week-long trial at Oslo district court, the prosecution said it believed that Høiby was guilty of 39 of the 40 offences with which he was charged, which, as well as rape and domestic abuse, include multiple breaches of restraining orders, assault, drug and driving offences.
Continue reading...How the killing of Iran’s Ali Larijani could impact the war
Venezuelans in Miami and Caracas celebrate historic WBC victory over USA
China dismisses U.S. Hormuz request as Trump’s Beijing trip is delayed and Iran war deepens – PBS
- China dismisses U.S. Hormuz request as Trump's Beijing trip is delayed and Iran war deepens PBS
- Trump Says U.S. Doesn’t Need Allies to Reopen Strait of Hormuz The New York Times
- Estonia ‘ready to talk’ on Strait of Hormuz backup Politico
- Trump's failed strong-arming of allies on Iran shows that pressure is losing its effect PBS
- Europe tells Trump Iran is 'not our war' Reuters
Amid ruins, Palestinians struggle to preserve Gaza’s historic markets
US broadly authorizes transactions with Venezuela’s oil company PDVSA – Reuters
- US broadly authorizes transactions with Venezuela's oil company PDVSA Reuters
- News Wrap: U.S. eases sanctions on Venezuela's state-owned oil company PBS
- Trump said the U.S. would “run” Venezuela and sell its oil. Now it’s starting to happen Fortune
- US eases Venezuela oil sanctions as Trump seeks to boost world oil supply during Iran war AP News
- Venezuela, PDVSA bonds jump after US waives certain sanctions Reuters
NSW police overusing ‘highly intrusive’ legal powers to monitor phones and computers, national watchdog finds
Commonwealth ombudsman also finds Victoria and Queensland police not keeping adequate records
Get our breaking news email, free app or daily news podcast
The New South Wales police force is overusing intrusive technology to monitor the phones and computers of people suspected of committing less serious crime, the commonwealth ombudsman has found.
The watchdog said Victoria and Queensland police were not keeping sufficient records to justify their use of the electronic surveillance powers, while NSW police “were unable to demonstrate” they were meeting the requirements of the Telecommunications (Interception and Access) Act 1979.
Continue reading...Who blinks first: What Iran’s Strait of Hormuz strategy reveals about its war goals – Euronews.com
- Who blinks first: What Iran’s Strait of Hormuz strategy reveals about its war goals Euronews.com
- How Iran defied Trump threats to emerge as Strait of Hormuz gatekeeper Al Jazeera
- The war created an oil problem. It’s not the only price you’ll pay CNN
- IMO chief says escorts no guarantee of safe passage through Strait of Hormuz, FT reports Reuters
- Why Little Was Done to Head Off Oil’s Strait of Hormuz Problem The New York Times
Ancient skeleton unearthed in France is latest to be found sitting upright
Scientists trying to work out why Gauls chose to bury some of their dead in seated position facing west
Children at a primary school in eastern France found a strange attraction next to their playground this week: a skeleton sitting upright, peeking out of a circular pit.
It is the latest in a series of bodies discovered in the city of Dijon that were buried in a seated position facing west.
Continue reading...