Russia ready for ‘new ideas’ on Ukraine war that match Putin’s goals
Serie A: Key talking points heading into the new 2026-27 season
Nord Stream bombing suspect to Hollywood fixer: Who is Volodymyr Zhuravlev?
Philippines floods fuel anger over alleged corruption
Cyclist Josh Tarling to compete in Tour of Spain after brother’s death
Map: 6.7-Magnitude Earthquake Shakes Peru – The New York Times
- Map: 6.7-Magnitude Earthquake Shakes Peru The New York Times
- Strong M6.7 earthquake hits Ayacucho, Peru The Watchers - Watching the world evolve and transform
- A magnitude 6.7 earthquake has shaken Peru’s southern Andes, USGS says ABC News - Breaking News, Latest News and Videos
- Peru earthquake raises concern about activity along the San Andreas Fault and Ring of Fire KESQ
- Strong earthquake strikes central Peru, no damage reported Reuters
Torrential rain floods New York City’s streets and subway
Swiatek into Cincinnati semis after Rybakina injury
Durham art gallery opens with works by Tracey Emin and Steve McQueen
The Light aims to bring art of international significance to north-east England
Works by Tracey Emin, Steve McQueen and Olafur Eliasson have gone on display at a new contemporary art gallery and museum in north-east England which aims to show works of international significance.
The Light is a £17m redevelopment of a museum in Durham that closed 10 years ago to considerable local uproar.
Continue reading...Retail sales in Great Britain fall despite heatwave increasing food and drink demand
Volume of goods sold in stores and online dropped 0.5% in July, ONS says
Retail sales across Great Britain weakened last month despite the men’s football World Cup and record temperatures boosting the demand for food and drink.
The Office for National Statistics said the volume of goods sold in stores and online fell 0.5% in July. That is down from 0.7% rise in June – revised down from initial estimates of 1% – and a 1.3% rise in May.
Continue reading...Burnham to chair growth meeting call at No 10 North – UK politics live
The PM will be working alongside chancellor John Healey, Lou Haigh, Angela Rayner and Sally Jameson with regional mayors expected to be involved
The UK government ran a larger than expected £1.8bn deficit in July, underlining the challenges facing the chancellor, John Healey, as he draws up his first budget.
City economists had expected a shortfall of zero for July, a month when Treasury receipts tend to be swollen by self-assessment income tax payments.
Burnham said yesterday that fly-tippers will be forced to pay for the clean-up when they dump waste illegally. The prime minister laid out his plans to crackdown on waste crimes as he visited an illegal dump in West Yorkshire.
Racism and sexism have become normalised in Britain, the equalities minister has said, as she warned that young men were being sucked into violent misogyny by the “cesspit” of social media. Bridget Phillipson said she was increasingly worried about how commonplace misogyny and racism had become, fuelled by online interactions and statements by politicians she said would not have been acceptable a few years ago.
Phillipson suggested her sweeping reforms to special educational needs provision could be adapted to give parents greater protections if they are unhappy about the service being provided for their children. The former education secretary told the Guardian ministers were open to making changes to the plans, which were announced earlier this year but which have since been subject to consultation.
Education Lucy Powell on Thursday addressed the GCSE gender gap, which shrank to its narrowest point this century. Almost one in four boys in England received top grades in maths while results in English improved across the board. “The white working-class review that was recently done, that was one things it found, that more boys need to see the purpose of education, they need to see the line of sight into work,” Powell told the Press Association.
Meanwhile, Burnham told reporters that funding for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s security arrangements on their return to the UK was a “private matter”, the Press Association reports. Harry and Meghan are expected to return to live in Britain later this month. After six years in the US, they will be moving with their two children, Prince Archie, seven, and Princess Lilibet, five, to a non-royal residence outside London.
Continue reading...Australia charges man for passing Ukrainian military intel to Russia
Sudan’s displacement crisis deepens as violence escalates
Bangladesh expect ‘harder’ Australia challenge in second Test, says coach
Footage shows clash with French police on beach as dinghy tries to leave for UK
Film emerges as France says it has stopped 185 small boat ‘events’ in three months since new £660m deal with UK
Footage has captured the moment French police officers clashed with people on a beach in northern France as the authorities tried to intercept a dinghy attempting to reach the UK.
Men wearing lifejackets appear to throw objects at the police to try to keep them away from their dinghy. The officers then use Pava spray before slashing the inflatable boat with a knife.
Continue reading...