Japan boxing to hold emergency meeting following fighters’ deaths
China says it expels Philippine vessels near Scarborough Shoal
Trump is calling Wall Street’s bluff on tariffs – CNN
- Trump is calling Wall Street’s bluff on tariffs CNN
- Opinion | The ‘chicken tax’ offers a scary lesson about Trump’s tariffs The Washington Post
- ‘The Weekend’ co-hosts and Ali Velshi blast Trump over his ‘nonsensical’ tariffs MSNBC News
- Column: Tariff 'Mission Accomplished' hype is just that Los Angeles Times
- Trump Wields Tariffs as a Force in Diplomacy, to Questionable Effect The New York Times
Freddo bar creator would be ‘rolling in his grave’ at its price today, daughter says
Harry Melbourne’s froggy treat that cost 10p in its 1990s heyday sells for about 30p or even up to £1 now
The creator of the Freddo chocolate bar would be rolling in his grave if he could see the prices being charged for a treat that cost 10p back in its 1990s heyday, his daughter has said.
Leonie Wadin said she once waited impatiently for her father, Harry Melbourne, to come home with boxes of Freddos, but has now vowed never to buy another one.
Continue reading...Israel is occupying Gaza to clean up the crime scene
Pioneering Blue Peter editor Biddy Baxter dies at 92
Leicester-born producer was editor of BBC children’s show for more than 20 years and introduced Blue Peter badge
Biddy Baxter, the pioneering television producer who transformed Blue Peter into a national institution, has died at 92, according to the BBC.
As editor of the children’s programme between 1965 and 1988, she introduced viewer engagement segments including the national appeals and the famous Blue Peter badge, encouraging children to send letters, pictures and programme ideas.
The show’s former presenter Peter Duncan remembered her as “a true force of nature”.
UK ministers urged to do more to protect new drivers in road safety overhaul
Motoring groups welcome plan to ban over-70s who fail eye tests but call for young drivers to face passenger restrictions
Motoring groups have welcomed government plans to overhaul road safety laws that could result in over-70s being banned if they fail eyesight tests but have implored ministers to go further with measures they believe could protect younger drivers and their passengers.
Ministers are considering cutting the drink-drive limit in England and Wales and introducing mandatory eye tests for older drivers, the Times reported on Monday. The proposals also reportedly include tougher penalties for uninsured driving and failing to wear a seatbelt – but not measures to stop inexperienced drivers being responsible for the safety of groups of their friends.
Continue reading...UK toy sales rise as nostalgic adults turn to Pokémon and Lego
Increase of 8% this year in line with ‘strong rebound’ in global market, data shows
UK toy sales have bounced back as adults increasingly muscle in on the market, snapping up everything from Pokémon trading cards and Lego sets to collectibles and action figures based on movie and TV franchises.
After falling almost 4% in 2024, UK toy sales have risen 8% so far this year, in line with the “strong rebound” enjoyed by the global market, data shows.
Continue reading...Nvidia, AMD to pay 15% of China chip sales to US government, reports say
Magnitude 6.1 earthquake hits western Turkiye, killing one
Australia to recognise Palestinian state at UN in September
Australia to recognise Palestinian statehood, New Zealand may follow
British backpacker pleads guilty to killing man while drunk on e-scooter
UK police say more than 500 people arrested in pro-Palestinian events over weekend – NPR
- UK police say more than 500 people arrested in pro-Palestinian events over weekend NPR
- Palestine Action co-founder accuses ministers of making defamatory claims The Guardian
- Hundreds of anti-Israel protestors arrested in London for supporting group banned under terrorism law Fox News
- UK police arrest more than 466 at protest for banned Palestine Action group Reuters
- Some don't know 'full nature' of Palestine Action, says Cooper BBC
Netanyahu vows to take Gaza City ‘quickly’ as IDF kills journalists in strike – The Washington Post
- Netanyahu vows to take Gaza City ‘quickly’ as IDF kills journalists in strike The Washington Post
- Netanyahu defends Gaza City takeover as UN warns of ‘calamity’ and international condemnation grows CNN
- Clash over Gaza plan exposed rift between Netanyahu and military brass The Washington Post
- What Is Benjamin Netanyahu Really After? The New Yorker
- Netanyahu expands scope of planned Gaza takeover, says Israel has 'no choice but to finish the job' Fox News
Monday briefing: What a new investigation tells us about the shooting of Palestinians at Gaza aid sites
In today’s newsletter: A Guardian investigation uncovers chilling evidence that civilians in Gaza appear to have been targeted by coordinated gunfire during food distributions
Good morning. In May 2025, Israel dismantled the United Nations-led humanitarian aid distribution system in Gaza. In its place came a distribution scheme run by the secretive Gaza Humanitarian Foundation (GHF) that came under immediate scrutiny for its “militarised model” and close ties to Israeli authorities, which rights groups warned “undermines the core humanitarian principles of humanity, neutrality, impartiality, and independence”.
In the months since, humanitarians’ worst fears about the aid sites have been realised. International observers have expressed concern as daily reports emerged of civilians being shot, shelled or crushed while attempting to access aid. Almost 1,400 Palestinians have reportedly been killed while seeking food, primarily near GHF distribution sites.
Israel-Gaza war | Benjamin Netanyahu has defended his plan to take control of Gaza City, even as senior UN officials warned the move risked unleashing “another calamity” on the territory. On Sunday, Anas al-Sharif, a prominent Al Jazeera journalist, was killed in an Israeli airstrike. Israel admitted a deliberate attack on the journalist.
Ukraine | Europe’s leaders have raised the pressure on Donald Trump to involve Ukraine in a planned summit with Vladimir Putin, as Germany warned the White House against any deal hatched “over the heads of Europeans and Ukrainians”.
Housing | Lower-income householders, minority ethnic people and those with young children are more likely to live in homes at risk from dangerous overheating, research has found.
UK news | Half of the people arrested during the protest in relation to Palestine Action in London on Saturday were aged 60 or above, according to police figures. A total of 532 people were arrested at the largest demonstration relating to the group – all but 10 under section 13 of the Terrorism Act for displaying supportive placards or signs.
Crime | Foreign criminals from 15 more countries face deportation before they have a chance to appeal, in an expansion of the UK government’s “deport first, appeal later” scheme.
Continue reading...Eight killed in Ecuador nightclub shooting
Watch: Moment storm blows roof off Nebraska prison
Japan rocked by bullying scandal after team withdraws from high school baseball tournament
Koryo high pulled out of the popular competition after an outcry over reports that some of its members had bullied a junior player
One of Japan’s most popular sports tournaments is reeling after the sudden withdrawal of a team whose teenage players have been accused of abusing a younger teammate.
Koryo high school, which had been representing Hiroshima prefecture in the summer high school baseball championships, announced on Sunday it would no longer take part.
Continue reading...