Algeria: president sacks campaign manager as protests continue

Thousands have taken to the streets to oppose Abdelaziz Bouteflika’s bid for a fifth term

Algeria’s ailing president has sacked his campaign manager as the nation’s elite moved to consolidate its power in the face of historic mass protests.

Tension continued to rise on Sunday, with students taking to the streets as the protests entered their second week. Observers waited to see if the president, AbdelazizBouteflika, would return from medical treatment in Geneva to submit his candidacy before Sunday’s midnight deadline.

Continue reading...

Censured by Britain, Hezbollah is bigger than ever in Beirut

The group has been added to the UK’s terrorist list, but after Assad’s victory in Syria it plays a powerful role in the region

At the back of a room full of marble-covered graves, a woman nods gently as she reads to her dead son. Another mother puts a candle inside a small lantern on top of a tomb. Both wear black chadors, and neither says anything above a whisper. Here the secrets of dead are laid bare in inscriptions; where and when the men were killed, and whom they were fighting for: the most formidable group in Lebanon, Hezbollah.

Between the women, an arched wreath covers three graves to which a trickle of visitors is drawn.Life-size photos of three men stand behind them, with a picture of the only woman buried there, the mother of perhaps the militant group’s most revered figure, its former military chief, Imad Mughniyeh. At times during the last two turbulent decades, the Martyrs’ Cemetery on the edge of Beirut’s southern suburbs has heaved with anger as the dead have arrived from battlefields. But last week an air of calm hung over the graveyard, just as it has for many months in Hezbollah’s surrounding heartland, where after seven polarising years of war in Syria, many residents sense the dawn of a new – but no less foreboding – era.

Continue reading...

Saudi Arabia: detained women’s rights activists to be put on trial

More than dozen arrested in 2018 and rights groups say some have been tortured

Saudi women’s rights activists detained last year in a sweeping crackdown on campaigners will be put on trial, prosecutors have said.

“The public prosecution would like to announce that it has concluded its investigation and prepared the indictment list against the defendants ... and will refer the case to the relevant court,” the state-controlled Saudi Press Agency said on Friday.

Continue reading...

Experience: I gave birth on the run from Isis

Hawar was healthy but I felt nothing but guilt for bringing him into the world

I was nine months pregnant when Islamic State came. It was 2014 and I was living with my husband, Ferhad, and one-year-old son, Haval, in the village of Tal Qasab in the Kurdish region of northern Iraq. My husband and I had been childhood sweethearts. We led a simple life, and were very happy.

For a couple of months, we had been worrying about an attack; Isis were targeting the Yazidi people in our region. Then, one August morning, we woke to the news that they had attacked Tuazar, the neighbouring village. We had just sat down to breakfast when a bullet hit our window. I looked outside and realised our neighbours were running for their lives.

Continue reading...

Shamima Begum moved from Syria camp after threats, says lawyer

Nineteen-year-old Briton and newborn son relocated due to ‘safety concerns’

Shamima Begum and her newborn baby have been moved from a Syrian refugee camp after threats were made against them, according to her family’s lawyer.

The 19-year-old and her son were moved from the Al-Hol camp in the north of the country due to “safety concerns around her and her baby”, Tasnime Akunjee said.

Continue reading...

Algerian protesters plan more action and call for regime change

Democracy movement Mouwatana opposes president Bouteflika’s bid for a fifth term

The coordinator of protests sweeping across Algeria for the past week has called for wholesale regime change as tens of thousands are expected to take to the streets on Friday.

“What Algerians want is to get rid of not just the president, but the entire regime,” said Soufiane Djilali, who spearheads the Mouwatana (Democracy and Citizenship) movement, which organised some of the historic protests against the current ruler, Abdelaziz Bouteflika. “The president must go, the government must resign, and the fake national assembly – all these need to be dismantled,” he said.

Continue reading...

May backs ally Jordan by underwriting $250m World Bank loan

Prime minister in diplomatic push with King Abdullah II at major London conference

Britain launched an economic and diplomatic push to protect Jordan as an oasis of political stability in the Middle East by staging a major conference designed to rescue the debt-ridden country, and help its leader King Abdullah II, mainly by an injection of private sector investment.

The crowded London conference was attended by the Jordanian monarch the British prime minister, Theresa May, the bulk of the Jordanian cabinet, the US treasury secretary, Steve Mnuchin, and a host of economic experts.

Continue reading...

Luxembourg PM takes Arab leaders to task on gay rights at summit

Xavier Bettel says his same-sex marriage would condemn him to death in some countries

Luxembourg’s prime minister, Xavier Bettel, has confronted Arab leaders over the repression of gay rights, telling them his same-sex marriage would condemn him to death in some of their countries.

The conference room at a summit of EU and Arab states fell silent when Bettel made his statement, according to a German TV journalist.

Continue reading...

UN says Israel’s killings at Gaza protests may amount to war crimes

Inquiry accuses army of killing demonstrators ‘who were not posing an imminent threat’

UN investigators have accused Israeli soldiers of intentionally firing on civilians and said they may have committed war crimes in their lethal response to Palestinian demonstrations in Gaza.

The independent Commission of Inquiry, set up last year by the UN’s human rights council, said Israeli forces killed 189 people and shot more than 6,100 others with live ammunition near the fence that divides the two territories.

Continue reading...

Did Iran’s foreign minister ‘resign’ just to boost his influence at home? | Mohammad Ali Shabani

Mohammad Javad Zarif’s futile attempt to quit could be a sign that he now wants to flex his political muscle within Iran

Almost 36 hours after the apparent resignation of Iran’s foreign minister, there are finally some answers to the many questions it raised. For instance, his superior, president Hassan Rouhani, has not accepted his resignation, which is required under Iranian law. Neither has the top decision-maker in the country, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei – if one is to believe cryptic rumours of a “high-ranking official” having told the diplomat that his exit is not “expedient”. Mohammad Javad Zarif is back at work, joining Rouhani in greeting a visiting Armenian delegation early on Wednesday.

But there is still the question of why Zarif suddenly decided to go on Instagram at midnight on Monday, expressing gratitude to “the dear and honourable Iranian people for the last 67 months” and apologising for his “incapacity” to continue serving in his post. Being under fire from all sides is certainly not a novelty for the ever-smiling Iranian chief diplomat. For years, he has been adored and despised for essentially the same thing: his ability to convincingly make Iran’s case to the world in fluent English, with a strong grasp of how western media works.

Continue reading...

Cairo station fire: at least 25 dead and dozens injured

  • Train crash causes huge blaze after fuel tank explodes
  • Incident triggers resignation of transport minister

At least 25 people have been killed and dozens more injured after a train crashed at high speed into a barrier at Cairo’s main station, causing its fuel tank to explode and triggering a huge fire.

Egypt’s transport minister, Hisham Arafat, resigned hours after the prime minister, Mostafa Madbouly, promised a tough response if any negligence was found. Egyptians have long complained that the government has failed to deal with chronic transport problems and poorly maintained railway lines.

Continue reading...

Hakeem al-Araibi: thank you Australia for bringing me home – but my fight is not over

Bahrain will do anything to hunt down dissident athletes and their families. International sporting bodies must step up to protect the helpless

I can never truly express my gratitude to you all, the Australian people, for bringing me home. There were countless dark moments over the 76 days of my detention, when my future looked nothing but bleak. The prospect of never seeing my wife, family or friends again became too close to reality.

The moment I was reunited with my loved ones, hundreds of supporters made it to the airport to give me a warm welcome that went far beyond my imagination. It is something I will never forget for the rest of my life.

Continue reading...

Labour to accept Hezbollah ban but queries Javid’s motives

Spokesman says party will not oppose measure but cites lack of sufficient evidence

Labour has said it will not seek to block the government’s decision to ban the political wing of Hezbollah in the UK, but suggested the move by Sajid Javid was motivated by his leadership ambitions rather than actual evidence.

Membership of the Lebanon-based group’s military wing is already outlawed, but the proscription will now be extended to its political arm, the home secretary announced on Monday.

Continue reading...

UN target of $4bn in aid for Yemen reliant on Saudi and US pledges

Dominant donors to record appeal to alleviate suffering of civil war will include countries leading aerial bombing campaign

The international community will gather on Tuesday to try to raise more than $4bn to help alleviate the suffering and famine caused by Yemen’s civil war, but will find itself heavily dependent on three combatants in the conflict – Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates and the US – to reach its fundraising target for 2019.

The $4.2bn (£3.2bn) target for 2019 – the largest sum sought for any single year since the start of the civil war in 2015 and an increase of 33 % on last year – will be the focus of an all-day pledging conference in Geneva.

Continue reading...

Javad Zarif’s resignation: blow for nuclear deal and win for Iran’s hardliners

Exit of Iran’s foreign minister means the loss of a major proponent of US-Iran negotiations

Mohammad Javad Zarif was Iran’s lead negotiator of the 2015 nuclear deal, and if his resignation is accepted, it will be another large nail in the agreement’s mostly sealed coffin.

Iran’s presidential chief of staff Mahmoud Vaezi denied the resignation had been accepted. But for the president, Hassan Rouhani, the departure of such a close ally at a time of prolonged intense political pressure will be a serious blow.

Continue reading...

Iran’s foreign minister Javad Zarif announces resignation

Official who negotiated nuclear deal apologises to nation but gives no reason for exit

The Iranian foreign minister, Javad Zarif, has resigned without warning, offering an apology to the nation as the nuclear deal he negotiated with world powers stands on the verge of collapse after the US withdrew from it.

The veteran diplomat first offered a vague Instagram post with an “apology” for his “inability to continue to his service”. The post included a drawing of Fatima, the daughter of the prophet Muhammad, as Monday marked the commemoration of her birth.

Continue reading...

Pro-Israel US group condemns Netanyahu pact with extremists

Aipac attacks Israeli PM’s pact with ‘racist and reprehensible’ Jewish Power party

Benjamin Netanyahu’s decision to enter an electoral pact with a party of ultranationalist extremists has drawn rare criticism from an influential pro-Israel group in the US.

The American Israel Public Affairs Committee (Aipac), which has generally given unflinching support to the Israeli leader during his 13 years in power, called the Jewish Power party “racist and reprehensible”.

Continue reading...

‘We are now free’: Yazidis fleeing Isis start over in female-only commune

In Jinwar, north-eastern Syria, a pioneering group of women are rebuilding their lives away from the constraints of patriarchy

Berivan runs over to join in the dancing, her traditional gold dress catching the winter sunlight. The 15-year-old Yazidi clasps hands with her best friend and stands among the line of women stamping their feet to a Kurdish pop song.

Berivan and her mother are from Sinjar in Iraq, the Yazidi homeland, but like thousands of other Yazidis they were kidnapped by Islamic State in 2014 when the group stormed across the border from Syria.

Continue reading...

Theresa May pledges £200m to help victims of Yemen’s civil war

Prime minister announced aid package at EU-Arab League talks in Sharm el-Sheikh, Egypt

Theresa May has pledged £200m to help victims of the war in Yemen as she called for an end to the “crisis and suffering” caused by civil war.

The prime minister announced the aid package as she arrived for EU talks in Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt. “We are playing our part and will continue to do so but there is still more that we as an international community can do,” she said. “At the summit in Egypt, I will call on our partners in Europe and the region to continue to provide the aid that is so desperately needed.”

Continue reading...

The Guardian view on Egypt and Europe: embracing authoritarianism | Editorial

The summit of the EU and the Arab League in Sharm el-Sheikh highlights the ongoing and ill-advised support for President Sisi

Days after Egypt executed men who said they were tortured into confessions of killing the country’s former top prosecutor, Europe’s heads of state are enjoying the hospitality of its president. The resort of Sharm el-Sheikh is hosting the inaugural summit of the European Union and the Arab League. Donald Tusk, president of the European council, is co-chairing with Abdel Fatah al-Sisi; Britain’s Theresa May is among the guests.

If the event itself is a first, the approach is familiar. As Mr Sisi entrenches his rule, presiding over what Human Rights Watch calls Egypt’s worst human rights crisis in decades, European countries murmur about their “quiet diplomacy” on such issues. Then they carry on building ties and providing the air of international legitimacy that he needs given his grim record since seizing power in 2013’s coup. Mr Sisi’s recent spate of executions is instructive: he must have felt confident there would be no repercussions for putting people to death so close to the summit – despite their blatantly unfair trials.

Continue reading...