US stopover by Taiwan’s president cancelled; Trump mulls China trip: Report
Thailand accuses Cambodia of violating hours-old ceasefire
Trump denies seeking summit with Xi, says he ‘may’ visit China
China floods: 30 killed in Beijing after days of heavy rain – BBC
- China floods: 30 killed in Beijing after days of heavy rain BBC
- Heavy Rain and Flooding in China Kill at Least 30 The New York Times
- 'It's a disaster from heaven': Residents dismayed and powerless after Beijing struck by devastating night of rain Sky News
- Beijing floods kill 30 as China sees summer of extreme weather BBC
- Nearly 40 killed, tens of thousands evacuated in Chinese floods The Washington Post
Police officer among four dead in shooting at New York City office building
On huge river island in India’s Assam, annual floods threaten local arts
Druze-Bedouin rupture sends ripples across the Middle East – Ynetnews
- Druze-Bedouin rupture sends ripples across the Middle East Ynetnews
- 'They shot patients in beds' – BBC hears claims of massacre at Suweida hospital BBC
- In Syria’s Sweida, the stench of death still lingers days after sectarian bloodshed AP News
- EXCLUSIVE: Inside the Druze Massacre in Southern Syria The Free Press
- Aid arrives in Syria’s Suwayda as UN says humanitarian situation critical Al Jazeera
Overnight strikes on Ukraine kill 25 as Trump sets Russia new truce deadline
Missile attack on prison in frontline region of Zaporizhzhia kills 16 as Kyiv hopes for US action against Moscow
Russia launched one of its deadliest night assaults on Ukraine for months in the early hours of Tuesday, the day after Donald Trump said he was setting a new deadline of “10 or 12 days” for Russia to make progress towards ending the war or face new sanctions.
A series of Russian strikes across the country killed at least 25 people, Ukrainian officials said, including a 23-year-old pregnant woman and more than a dozen prison inmates. About 100 people were injured across the country.
Continue reading...Lakers’ Luka Doncic shows offseason fitness gains in Men’s Health
Message in a bottle found in Ireland prompts theories about Taiwanese crew
Tens of thousands at risk of poverty despite Labour’s benefit U-turn, MPs warn
Changes to welfare reforms not enough to protect newly sick and disabled people from financial hardship
About 50,000 people who become disabled or chronically ill will be pushed into poverty by the end of the decade because of cuts to incapacity benefit, despite ministers dropping the bulk of its welfare reform plans, MPs have warned.
The work and pensions select committee report welcomed ministers’ decision earlier this month to drop some of the most controversial aspects of its disability reforms in the face of a parliamentary revolt by over 100 Labour backbenchers.
Continue reading...Southport MP says city won’t be defined by atrocity one year on from attack
Police monitor social media for attempts to stir up disorder as town pays tribute to three girls murdered last year
Southport must not be defined by the atrocity at a Taylor Swift-themed holiday club last summer, its leaders have said, a year on from the murders.
The Merseyside town will hold a three-minute silence and lower flags on public buildings on Tuesday in tribute to those caught up in the attack on 29 July last year.
Continue reading...Rising UK food prices turn cash-strapped shoppers away from high street
BRC says food prices rose by 4% in July from 2024, while CBI blames economic uncertainty for people not spending
Britain’s largest retailers struggled to entice shoppers back to the high street in July as the rising cost of meat and butter drove up food prices, adding to the pressure on household finances.
According to the latest snapshot from the British Retail Consortium (BRC) food prices rose by 4% in July from a year earlier, up from 3.7% in June and above the three-month average of 3.5%.
Continue reading...Pro-Palestine protest group says ‘we will see them in court’ after police block Sydney Harbour Bridge march
Sydney-based group say weekend demonstration ‘must go ahead’ despite police knocking back application
Get our breaking news email, free app or daily news podcast
Organisers of a pro-Palestine protest have vowed to fight the New South Wales police in court after police decided to not facilitate a march across the Sydney Harbour Bridge this weekend.
On Tuesday afternoon, the deputy police commissioner, Peter McKenna, said police had rejected an application from the organisers proposing a route across the bridge to the US consulate, citing safety risks as the reason. But he said police were open to negotiating alternative routes.
Continue reading...Gorilla habitats and pristine forest at risk as DRC opens half of country to oil and gas drilling bids
Government launches licensing round for 52 fossil fuel blocks, potentially undermining a flagship conservation initiative and affecting an estimated 39 million people
The Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) is opening crucial gorilla habitats and pristine forests to bids for oil and gas drilling, with plans to carve up more than half the country into fossil fuel blocks.
The blocks opened for auction cover 124m hectares (306m acres) of land and inland waters described by experts as the “world’s worst place to prospect for oil” because they hold vast amounts of carbon and are home to some of the planet’s most precious wildlife habitats, including endangered lowland gorillas and bonobo.
Continue reading...How England’s Lionesses won the UEFA Euro 2025 title
China offers parents $1,500 in bid to boost births
China offers parents $1,500 in bid to boost births
Law professor at centre of leaked email controversy claims University of Melbourne suspended him because of his political opinion
Exclusive: Dr Eric Descheemaeker also alleges Australia’s top-ranked university will sack him unless ‘restrained from doing so’, court documents show
Get our breaking news email, free app or daily news podcast
A University of Melbourne law professor who claimed “‘Blak’ activists” were leading the prestigious institution to “destruction” alleges he has been suspended because of his political opinion.
Guardian Australia on Saturday revealed that Dr Eric Descheemaeker is suing Australia’s top-ranked university for discrimination. The legal action comes after a 2023 email written by Descheemaeker to the then head of the Melbourne Law School (MLS) was leaked and posted around the university’s Parkville campus last month.
Continue reading...