Shanghai to lock down 2.7 million, a week after easing Covid restrictions

District of Minhang to be closed on Saturday for mass testing, sparking fears the lockdown could be prolonged if cases found

Shanghai will lock down a district of 2.7 million people on Saturday to conduct mass coronavirus testing, city authorities said, as the Chinese metropolis struggles to fully emerge from punishing curbs.

The city eased many restrictions last week, after confining most of its 25 million residents to their homes since March as China battled its worst Covid outbreak in two years.

Continue reading...

Mexican megachurch leader jailed in US for more than 16 years for child sexual abuse

La Luz del Mundo ‘apostle’ Naasón Joaquín García sentenced after admitting three abuse charges in Californian court

The leader of the Mexican megachurch La Luz del Mundo was sentenced on Wednesday to more than 16 years in a California prison for sexually abusing young female followers.

Naasón Joaquín García, 53, pleaded guilty last week in Los Angeles superior court to three felonies on the eve of a long-awaited trial.

Continue reading...

Twitter set to comply with Elon Musk demand for data on fake accounts

Network ready to provide stream of daily data after world’s richest man threatened to pull out of $44bn purchase if Twitter refused

Twitter is preparing to comply with Elon Musk’s demand for data on fake accounts, after the Tesla chief executive threatened to walk away from buying the business if it refused.

The social media company will provide the world’s richest man with access to a stream of data comprising more than 500 million tweets posted every day, according to the Washington Post.

Continue reading...

Russia-Ukraine war: Russian bombardment of Sievierodonetsk ‘pushes Ukrainian troops back to city’s outskirts’ – live

Luhansk governor says Ukraine now only controls the outer parts of the eastern city

With neither side prevailing on the battlefield, there seems little prospect of negotiations.

Ukrainian president Volodymyr Zelenskiy said he “simply cannot see the preconditions for ending the war” in an interview with the Financial Times.

China has always played a constructive role in the assistance to peaceful talks.

It is necessary under the present-day situation to be aware of third parties’ attempts to drag countries of the region into the conflict of world powers and to avoid their threats to take a certain side.

Continue reading...

Uvalde survivor, 11, tells House hearing she smeared herself with friend’s blood

Miah Cerrillo recounts at gun violence hearing how she watched as her teacher and friends were shot and acted quickly to save herself

An 11-year-old survivor of the elementary school massacre in Uvalde, Texas testified before the House oversight committee on Wednesday, as lawmakers continued to try to reach a compromise on gun control legislation after a series of devastating mass shootings.

The House hearing came two weeks after an 18-year-old opened fire at Robb elementary school, killing 19 children and two teachers, and three weeks after 10 people were killed at a supermarket in Buffalo, New York.

Continue reading...

FBI seizes retired US general’s electronic data over alleged illegal Qatar lobbying

Gen John Allen gave a ‘false version of events’ about his work for Gulf state in 2020 interview, court documents allege

The FBI has seized electronic data from John Allen, a retired four-star marine general and former leader of US and Nato forces in Afghanistan who authorities say made false statements and withheld “incriminating” documents about his role in an illegal foreign lobbying campaign on behalf of Qatar.

Allen is now president of the Brookings Institution, a prominent Washington thinktank, which said on Wednesday it had placed him on administrative leave.

Continue reading...

Ukraine: Captured Britons ‘face 20 years in jail’

Russian state media shows Aiden Aslin, 28, and Shaun Pinner, 48, appearing in court in Donetsk

Russia-Ukraine war: latest developments

Two British men captured by Russian forces while fighting alongside Ukrainian soldiers face 20 years in prison, according to a video shared by Russian state media.

Aiden Aslin and Shaun Pinner, who were serving in the Ukrainian military, were detained in April while fighting in Mariupol.

Continue reading...

Man arrested near Brett Kavanaugh’s home charged with attempted murder

FBI affidavit says suspect Nicholas Roske traveled from California ‘to kill a specific United States supreme court justice’

A man has been charged with attempted murder after he was arrested near the home of Brett Kavanaugh, the US supreme court justice, on Wednesday.

Nicholas Roske, 26, was armed with a tactical knife, a Glock 17 pistol, pepper spray, zip ties and a hammer, the FBI said.

Continue reading...

Thieves stole Banksy Bataclan door mural with crowbar, French court told

Seven Frenchmen and Italian on trial for theft of work thought to be a tribute to victims of Paris attacks

Thieves who stole a mural by the street artist Banksy on an emergency exit door of the Bataclan concert hall in Paris used a crowbar and angle grinder to prise it free, in a crime that lasted just minutes, a French court heard.

The work depicting a veiled and mournful figure is thought to have been a tribute to victims of the Islamist militant attacks against the Bataclan and other entertainment venues in Paris in 2015.

Continue reading...

Man detained after driving car into Berlin crowd, killing teacher

Police say 14 children on school trip injured on road adjacent to 2016 fatal attack

A man has been detained after driving his car into a crowd of people in western Berlin, killing a teacher and injuring 14 children who were on a school trip, police have said.

The man drove into people on a street corner before getting the car back on the road and crashing into a shop window further on.

Continue reading...

Pelé joins calls for Brazil to step up search for pair missing in Amazon

Three-time World Cup winner joined sports, culture and media figures in calling for action over Dom Phillips and Bruno Pereira

A host of Brazilian celebrities, led by the three-time World Cup winner Pelé, have joined calls for authorities to intensify their search for a British journalist and Brazilian Indigenous advocate missing in the Amazon rainforest.

Pelé, now 81 and considered one of the greatest players of all time, retweeted a video made by Phillips’s wife appealing for more urgency in the search for her husband and Bruno Pereira.

Continue reading...

MEPs reject key EU climate proposal after aims watered down

European parliament defeats centre-right lawmakers’ attempts to weaken climate target

The European parliament has voted to end the sale of petrol and diesel cars by 2035, defeating attempts by centre-right lawmakers to weaken the target.

Lawmakers hailed a major victory for the climate after an intense day of votes on a set of laws that make up the EU green deal, the bloc’s main response to the climate crisis.

Continue reading...

‘Overdiagnosis’: some breast cancer treatments may have been unnecessary, study suggests

Exclusive: Patients tell of screening and surgery they believe they didn’t need, and the effect this has had on their lives

When Jenny* had a mastectomy after being diagnosed with breast cancer, she believed the major surgery to remove her breast, although traumatic, had saved her life.

She described feeling “rage” when at a follow-up appointment three years later, she said to her surgeon, “I would probably be dead by now” if she had not received the surgery, to which he replied: “Probably not.”

Sign up to receive an email with the top stories from Guardian Australia every morning

Continue reading...

Canada: two died as police sought approval to tweet 2020 mass shooting warning

Public inquiry hears of police delays and communication failures during attack in Nova Scotia in which 22 people died

Two people died in the time it took Canadian police to get internal approval to tweet a warning to the public about the suspect in the 2020 Nova Scotia mass shooting, a public inquiry was told on Wednesday.

Lia Scanlan, former director of strategic communications for the Royal Canadian Mounted Police in Nova Scotia, spoke at length on Wednesday, a day after testimony surfaced in which she said she was “glad” no province-wide alert was sent out during the 13-hour rampage warning the public of a gunman driving a replica police cruiser.

Continue reading...

Ukraine forces pushed back to outskirts of Sievierodonetsk, say Donbas leaders

Luhansk governor says most of eastern city now in Russian hands and it is no longer possible to rescue civilians

Ukrainian forces have been pushed back to the outskirts of the eastern city of Sievierodonetsk amid heavy fighting in the city and frontline villages to the south as Russia pursues a breakthrough in Donbas, regional leaders have said.

Serhiy Haidai, the governor of Luhansk, said most of the city was now in Russian hands and that it was no longer possible to rescue civilians stranded there.

Continue reading...

Al-Qaida in Indian subcontinent plans revenge attacks over prophet remarks

Suicide bombings threatened after ‘slandering’ comments made by Hindu Bharatiya Janata party

Al-Qaida in the Indian subcontinent has said it plans to carry out suicide bombings in revenge for the “insulting and slandering” remarks made by leaders of the ruling Hindu nationalist Bharatiya Janata party about the prophet Muhammad and his wife, Aisha.

The Indian news agency ANI has reported that in a letter dated 6 June, AQIS – the regional branch of al-Qaida – warned that Hindu nationalist “terrorists should now await their end in Delhi and Bombay and in Uttar Pradesh and Gujarat”.

Continue reading...

West to rebuke Iran over lack of cooperation with nuclear watchdog

Move at IAEA board meeting may deepen impasse over talks to bring US back into 2015 nuclear deal

Europe and the US will rebuke Iran this week for failing to cooperate with the UN nuclear inspectorate, a move that has angered Iran’s leadership and may deepen the impasse over talks to bring the US back into the 2015 nuclear agreement, and the lifting of sanctions on Tehran.

The rebuke, in the form of a motion to be voted on at a board meeting of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) in Vienna, will not lead to Iran’s non-compliance being referred to the UN security council, nor to an extension of sanctions on Iran.

Continue reading...

Home Office’s Rwanda deportation plans face high court challenge

About 30 asylum seekers expected to be sent to Rwanda on 14 June

Priti Patel’s plan to send asylum seekers to Rwanda as soon as next week is facing a legal challenge under emergency proceedings launched in the high court on Wednesday.

An application for a judicial review claims that the home secretary’s policy is unlawful. Claimants are also seeking an injunction that will attempt to stop the plane from taking off.

Continue reading...

UK will not impose direct rule on British Virgin Islands, Liz Truss says

UK foreign secretary decided to give territory two years to implement reforms to tackle corruption

Direct rule will not be imposed on the British Virgin Islands (BVI) after the UK foreign secretary decided to give the territory’s emergency administration two years to implement reforms to tackle endemic corruption.

Last month the BVI’s premier, Andrew Fahie, faced charges of money laundering and conspiring to import cocaine after he was arrested in a sting operation by US agents posing as Mexican drug traffickers in Miami. He denies the charges.

Continue reading...

Brazilian police say ‘no evidence of crime’ in search for missing journalist

Police detain man on drugs and weapons charges but say too early to link arrest directly to disappearance in Amazon of Dom Phillips

Authorities in the Amazon investigating the disappearance of a British journalist and an Indigenous advocate have yet to find any evidence of a crime three days after the men went missing in a remote corner of the rainforest.

Police in the far west of Brazil said on Wednesday their inquiries into the disappearance of Dom Phillips, a longtime Guardian contributor, and Bruno Araújo Pereira, an advocate for Indigenous people, had led to the arrest of one man.

Continue reading...