Cape Verde declares state of emergency after deadly floods
Trump is “waging a war on Democratic-run cities”
Counterfeit Labubu dolls on sale in UK are a choking hazard to young children, warns standards body
Chartered Trading Standards Institute says thousands of the viral toys seized are poorly made while legitimate dolls ‘are almost impossible to find’
Growing numbers of counterfeit Labubu dolls being sold in the UK are poorly made and pose a choking hazard to young children, a trading standards body has warned.
The toothy, fluffy monster doll figures, made exclusively by the Chinese toymaker Pop Mart, have surged in popularity among children and adults after going viral on social media. Celebrity fans include Rihanna and Lisa from the K-pop group Blackpink, while many owners like to attach the dolls to handbags or backpacks.
Continue reading...‘What an illusion’: Iran’s president mocks Netanyahu’s vow to help country with water crisis – The Jerusalem Post
- 'What an illusion': Iran's president mocks Netanyahu's vow to help country with water crisis The Jerusalem Post
- Iran’s president mocks Netanyahu over pledge of help in water crisis AP News
- ‘A mirage’: Iran’s president dismisses Netanyahu’s water-tech offer amid shortages The Times of Israel
- PM Netanyahu To I24NEWS: We Would Have Struck Iran Even Without The US i24NEWS
- Netanyahu’s lies: Offering water, spilling blood Mehr News Agency
Palestinian man killed in West Bank by Israeli soldier backing up settlers
IDF chief greenlights general outline of planned conquest of Gaza City – The Times of Israel
- IDF chief greenlights general outline of planned conquest of Gaza City The Times of Israel
- Israel’s Emerging Occupation Consensus Foreign Affairs
- Nowhere left to go as Gaza City faces looming Israeli offensive The Christian Science Monitor
- Guerrilla fighters and 1.2 million residents: What awaits IDF soldiers in Gaza takeover Haaretz
- IDF chief approves new Gaza attack plan, spokesperson says ABC News
Next UK protest over Palestine Action ban aims to sign up 1,000 people
Defend Our Juries believes London protest in September could lead to ban being lifted, after 532 arrests on Saturday
The next mass protest in support of the banned group Palestine Action will aim to be twice the size of the last, organisers have said, as they increase pressure on the government to lift its proscription.
Last Saturday’s protest in Parliament Square was predicated on 500 people signing up but the next one, announced on Wednesday for 6 September in London, is conditional on 1,000 people agreeing to take part.
Continue reading...Alaska’s Juneau orders evacuations as record glacier flood looms
Mendenhall Glacier outburst threatens homes, with scientists warning events are intensifying
Alaska’s capital city of Juneau is urging many residents to evacuate, bracing for the arrival of what could be record floodwaters flowing downstream from a basin dammed by the area’s Mendenhall Glacier, with the event being driven by climate change amid glacial retreat, according to a federal agency.
Summer glacial flooding, known as a glacial lake outburst flood, or GLOF, threatens parts of the city due to a combination of rainwater and snowmelt.
Continue reading...At least 20 killed after boat capsizes off Italian island of Lampedusa, UN says
UN refugee agency says more people could still be missing at sea, with between 70 and 80 believed to have survived
At least 20 people have died after a boat capsized off the southern Italian island of Lampedusa, a United Nations agency and local media reported on Wednesday.
Rescuers have recovered 20 bodies so far and operations were continuing, according to initial reports by Ansa news agency. Between 70 and 80 people were believed to have survived.
Continue reading...Turkiye slams Israel, Kurdish-led SDF for destabilising a recovering Syria
Beloved YouTube duo dies after off-road rollover in wilderness – Cleveland.com
- Beloved YouTube duo dies after off-road rollover in wilderness Cleveland.com
- B.C. couple behind popular offroading YouTube channel Toyota World Runners die in crash cbc.ca
- Influencer couple killed in Canadian mountain crash Fox News
- UPDATED: Two dead in backcountry crash near Trout Lake My Nelson Now
- Nanaimo couple known for off-road adventures dies in mountain accident Times Colonist
France, Germany, UK willing to reinstate sanctions on Iran – Reuters
- France, Germany, UK willing to reinstate sanctions on Iran Reuters
- UK, France and Germany ready to reimpose sanctions on Iran over nuclear programme BBC
- European powers threaten 'snapback sanctions' if Iran doesn't return to nuclear talks CNBC
- Britain, France and Germany threaten to reimpose sanctions on Iran as nuclear program deadline nears AP News
- European powers say they’re ready to snap back Iran nuclear sanctions at end of August The Times of Israel
Palestinian stone-thrower shot dead by off-duty soldier in West Bank altercation – The Times of Israel
- Palestinian stone-thrower shot dead by off-duty soldier in West Bank altercation The Times of Israel
- Palestinian man killed in West Bank by Israeli soldier backing up settlers Al Jazeera
- Off-duty IDF Soldier Shoots Palestinian Man Dead in West Bank Amid Clashes With Settlers Haaretz
- Palestinians wound two during attack on Jewish farm The Jerusalem Post
- Palestinian shot dead by off-duty IDF soldier in West Bank after throwing rocks Ynetnews
Lammy refers himself to watchdog after fishing illegally with JD Vance
Foreign secretary reports ‘oversight’ to Environment Agency after failing to acquire necessary rod licence
David Lammy has referred himself to the environment watchdog after going fishing with JD Vance without the required licence during the US vice-president’s trip to the UK.
The foreign secretary hosted Vance and his family at Chevening House in Kent last week, where the pair fished from the property’s private lake. Anglers aged 13 and over must hold a rod licence to fish for freshwater species such as carp in England and Wales. Lammy failed to land a catch, but “all of my kids did”, Vance said.
Continue reading...Openly defying Iran, Lebanon’s Aoun says no armed groups allowed in country – The Times of Israel
- Openly defying Iran, Lebanon’s Aoun says no armed groups allowed in country The Times of Israel
- No armed groups allowed in Lebanon, president tells Hezbollah's ally Iran Reuters
- Lebanon says it rejects foreign intervention during visit by top Iranian official Ali Larijani AP News
- Lebanon rejects foreign interference, president tells Iran official Al Jazeera
- Lebanon’s president warns Iran against ‘interference’ over Hizbollah Financial Times
Tennessee town approves plans to turn former prison into Ice detention center
Officials in Mason voted to convert prison to Ice facility run by CoreCivic, US’s second-largest private prison operator
Officials in a rural Tennessee town voted on Tuesday to approve agreements to turn a former prison into an immigration detention facility operated by a private company, despite loud objections from upset residents and activists during a contentious public meeting.
The five-member board of aldermen in Mason, along with the mayor, Eddie Noeman, and vice-mayor, Reynaldo Givhan, met in a fire station garage to discuss converting the closed West Tennessee detention facility into a US Immigration and Customs Enforcement (Ice) detention center run by CoreCivic Inc, America’s second-largest private prison operator.
Continue reading...Brad Pitt break-in linked to gang targeting celebrities, Los Angeles police say
Four teenagers have been arrested on suspicion of committing burglaries at the homes of several prominent residents, according to LA police
Los Angeles police have formally linked a break-in at Brad Pitt’s home in the city in June to a string of other burglaries at properties belonging to celebrities.
Los Angeles police chief Jim McDonnell announced the arrest of four suspects, saying they were a a crew that were committing burglaries at the homes of “various high-profile residents” throughout the city, adding that “some of the burglaries included homes of actors and professional athletes”.
Continue reading...Tighter US border rules are putting European visitors off, says Tui
Holiday company boss says tourists are opting instead for destinations such as Canada, Africa and Asia
Tighter border rules are putting European tourists off holidaying in the US, according to Europe’s biggest package trip operator.
Tui’s chief executive, Sebastian Ebel, said there had been a “significant decline” in travel to the US, due to a multitude of factors including “the atmosphere, what you hear from border control”.
Continue reading...