DRC’s fast-growing Ebola outbreak spreads to sixth province

Man dies in Bas-Uele after travelling from Haut-Uele, as head of WHO says outbreak on track to be deadliest ever

The Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo has spread to a sixth province, officials have said, a day after the head of the World Health Organization said the outbreak was on track to surpass the deadliest in history, which killed at least 11,000 people more than a decade ago.

The current outbreak has killed more than 2,100 people out of more than 4,500 cases, according to the latest government figures released on Tuesday. At the same point in the 2014-16 outbreak in west Africa, the previous most deadly outbreak, 755 cases had been recorded, according to WHO data.

Continue reading...

One Nation staffer accused of posing as leftwing content creator in ‘undercover’ videos

Exclusive: The videos, filmed at anti-One Nation rallies, were posted to party’s social pages and appear to be endorsed by Pauline Hanson

The owners of a progressive social media page have accused One Nation of impersonating them at anti-Pauline Hanson rallies while shooting a series of “undercover” videos.

Hanson’s party has recently published a string of videos with a young male host attending leftwing protests. In the clips – published on pages owned by One Nation and Hanson on Instagram, TikTok and X – a party staffer seeks to embarrass protesters in filmed interviews.

Continue reading...

Is Australia’s Buy Now Pay Later boom at an end?

Several firms promised to disrupt the consumer credit market by offering consumers their purchases instantly and the bill later. Did it work?

Afterpay has never turned a profit in Australia. Last month, it spent millions to take over a Sydney Olympic Park arena.

The company says Afterpay Arena will be the first venue where Australians can “buy now, pay later” for their event tickets, merchandise, dinner and even alcohol.

Continue reading...

Australian bishop convicted of sexual abuse – The Pillar

  1. Australian bishop convicted of sexual abuse  The Pillar
  2. Former Catholic Bishop Is Convicted of Sexual Abuse, Australian News Outlets Say  The New York Times
  3. Australian jury convicts former Catholic bishop of sexually abusing 2 men  Crux | Taking the Catholic Pulse
  4. 'Disgusting': Catholic bishop condemned by colleagues after guilty verdict  ABC News & Headlines – Australian Broadcasting Corporation
  5. Australia Clergy Abuse  Dayton Daily News
Posted in Uncategorized

Ukrainian drones strike a major refinery deep inside Russia, setting it ablaze – AP News

  1. Ukrainian drones strike a major refinery deep inside Russia, setting it ablaze  AP News
  2. Ukraine’s drones hit a major Russian refinery 800 miles from the border, sparking a fire  ABC News - Breaking News, Latest News and Videos
  3. Ukrainian attack shuts Russia's Orsk refinery for months, causing fuel problems  Reuters
  4. Ukrainian Drone Attack Deep Into Russia Is Among Its Deadliest of the War  The New York Times
  5. Ukraine Says It Hit Oil Refinery in Russia’s Urals Region  Bloomberg.com
Posted in Uncategorized

French ambassador to CAR investigated over claims he hosted dozens of women

Disciplinary proceedings under way after security concerns raised over reported visits to official residence

France has opened disciplinary proceedings against its ambassador to Central African Republic over allegations of misconduct, after claims he brought dozens of women into his official residence, raising potential security concerns.

The investigation comes as Paris seeks to rebuild relations with CAR after their sharp deterioration in recent years amid Russia’s expanding influence in the former French colony.

Continue reading...

Explosion at Dutch port of Rotterdam leaves 1 dead, several injured – NBC News

  1. Explosion at Dutch port of Rotterdam leaves 1 dead, several injured  NBC News
  2. Blast at Rotterdam port energy facility kills one person  Reuters
  3. One person killed and six injured after explosion at Rotterdam port  Sky News
  4. Explosion in Rotterdam, Netherlands kills one, injures several  The Jerusalem Post
  5. Explosion at Dutch Port of Rotterdam Leaves One Dead, Several Injured  Bloomberg.com
Posted in Uncategorized

Europe Is Once Again In the Grip of Extreme Heat – The New York Times

  1. Europe Is Once Again In the Grip of Extreme Heat  The New York Times
  2. Europe is the world’s fastest warming continent. What is to blame?  The Guardian
  3. Another Day of Extreme Heat Bakes Europe, but Relief Is on the Horizon  The New York Times
  4. Britain and France swelter again as western Europe is hit by another heat wave  ABC News - Breaking News, Latest News and Videos
  5. Millions across Europe swelter under fresh wave of extreme heat  euronews.com
Posted in Uncategorized

‘Absolutely unacceptable’: Japan condemns visit by Vladimir Putin to disputed Kuril Islands

Japanese PM says islands seized by Soviets late in second world war are part of her country under international law

The Japanese government has reacted angrily to Vladimir Putin’s first visit to the disputed Kuril Islands, which are claimed by both Tokyo and Moscow.

Japan’s foreign minister, Toshimitsu Motegi, summoned the Russian ambassador Nikolay Nozdrev, while the prime minister, Sanae Takaichi, called Putin’s actions “absolutely unacceptable”.

Continue reading...

Japan protests as Russia’s Putin visits disputed Kuril Islands – Al Jazeera

  1. Japan protests as Russia’s Putin visits disputed Kuril Islands  Al Jazeera
  2. Japan PM Takaichi says Putin's visit to disputed Kuril islands 'absolutely unacceptable'  BBC
  3. ‘Absolutely unacceptable’: Japan condemns visit by Vladimir Putin to disputed Kuril Islands  The Guardian
  4. Putin Visits Islands Seized From Japan in World War II, Angering Tokyo  The New York Times
  5. Vladimir Putin's first visit to disputed Pacific islands draws Tokyo protest  NPR
Posted in Uncategorized

Transport watchdog investigates third near miss at Sydney airport

Two planes came close to collision on the runway on Sunday – hours after another near miss – making a total of three in recent weeks

The transport safety watchdog is investigating a a third near-collision between two planes at Sydney airport – the latest incident occurring hours after one that made national news and raised concerns about air traffic control.

The Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) said on Thursday night that it was investigating a second “runway incursion” on Sunday 9 August.

Continue reading...