Ukraine PM calls for confiscated assets from Russian oligarchs to fund recovery – as it happened

This live blog is now closed, you can find our latest coverage of the Russia-Ukraine war here

Ukrainian media reports an ammunition depot was destroyed in occupied Snizhne in the eastern Donetsk region. Nexta TV has this unverified footage of what it claims to be the incident.

Russian forces hit a secondary school in the Kharkiv district at 4am this morning, according to a report from Oleh Synyehubov, governor of the region. There were no reported casualties.

Continue reading...

Starmer ends Labour silence on Brexit as he rules out rejoining single market

Labour leader says he will rebuild trust with EU and get ‘a better deal for the British people’

Keir Starmer has thrown Labour back into the Brexit debate by ruling out any return to the single market or customs union, but arguing he could remove trade and travel barriers as prime minister because the EU would trust him.

In a speech on Monday evening that ended Labour’s habitual silence on the subject since the referendum, Starmer pledged to tackle what he called a “fatberg of red tape and bureaucracy” caused by Johnson’s Brexit deal.

Continue reading...

Italian glacier collapse: rescuers hampered by thunderstorms

Visiting scene, Italian PM says country must take measures to ensure such a tragedy does not happen again

Thunderstorms have hampered the search for more than a dozen hikers who remain unaccounted for a day after a huge chunk of an Alpine glacier in Italy broke off, sending an avalanche of ice, snow and rocks down the slope.

The Italian prime minister, Mario Draghi, pledged on Monday night that his government would work to avoid a repeat of the tragedy in which at least seven people were killed.

Continue reading...

Family of activist jailed in Egypt urge Liz Truss to pressure counterpart

Family of Alaa Abd El Fattah join wife of Karim Ennarah, under travel ban, in demanding more action from foreign secretary

The family of a British national jailed in Egypt and the British wife of an Egyptian rights defender under a travel ban are demanding that Liz Truss do more to pressure her Egyptian counterpart when they meet this week.

The foreign secretary is expected to meet Egypt’s foreign minister, Sameh Shoukry, in London after telling parliament in June that she would seek a meeting with him and raise the case of detained British-Egyptian activist Alaa Abd El Fattah. “We’re working very hard to secure his release,” she said.

Continue reading...

Putin declares victory in Luhansk after fall of Lysychansk

Region’s governor says loss was painful and he expects Sloviansk and Bakhmut now to face heavy attack

Vladimir Putin has declared victory in the eastern Ukrainian region of Luhansk and told Russian troops to rest and “increase their combat capabilities”, a day after Ukrainian forces withdrew from their last remaining stronghold in the province.

Ukraine’s military command confirmed on Sunday evening that its troops had been forced to pull back from the city of Lysychansk in Luhansk, and the regional governor has warned that Russian forces are trying to seize the entire Donetsk region, which, with Luhansk, makes up the industrial heartland of Donbas.

Continue reading...

Ukraine lays out $750bn ‘recovery plan’ for postwar future

Volodymyr Zelenskiy says process of recovery will allow his country to deepen its links with Europe

The eventual restoration of Ukraine through a $750bn (£620bn) recovery plan is the common task of the entire democratic world, the Ukrainian president said on Monday at the first detailed event to map out a physical future for the country in the event it survives as a western-facing nation after the Russian invasion.

Speaking by video link to a high-level conference in Lugano, Switzerland, attended by many senior Ukrainian politicians, Volodymyr Zelenskiy admitted the task ahead was colossal, claiming the war was a battle of outlooks in which Russia was determined to destroy his country’s physical and moral fabric.

Continue reading...

Twin brothers named as armed robbers killed in Canada bank heist

Heavily armed 22-year-olds died in shootout that left six police officers injured in Saanich, British Columbia

Police in Canada have identified the heavily armed culprits of a brazen bank robbery last week as twin brothers whose social media posts showed an obsession with guns and fears of government “tyranny”, and an interest in infamous bank heists.

On Saturday, police identified Mathew and Isaac Auchterlonie, 22, as the two men killed after they attempted to rob a bank in the municipality of Saanich, British Columbia.

Continue reading...

Shireen Abu Aqleh: Israeli gunfire probably killed journalist, say US investigators

But forensic analysis of bullet that killed Palestinian-American journalist found to be inconclusive

US investigators believe Israeli army gunfire probably killed the Palestinian-American journalist Shireen Abu Aqleh, although a forensic analysis of the bullet was inconclusive.

A statement released by the State Department spokesperson Ned Price said “detailed forensic analysis, independent, third-party examiners … could not reach a definitive conclusion regarding the origin of the bullet”, which was badly damaged.

Continue reading...

Bolsonaro’s ‘surrender of Amazon to crooks played role in murders of Phillips and Pereira’

Brazilian president’s dismantling of environmental safeguards partly to blame, says politician leading inquiry

Jair Bolsonaro’s demolition of Brazil’s Indigenous and environmental protection services and “surrender of the Amazon to crooks” played a direct role in the murders of Dom Phillips and Bruno Pereira, the politician leading a congressional inquiry into the crime has claimed.

One month after the British journalist and Brazilian Indigenous advocate were killed on the River Itaquaí, three men are in custody: two local fishermen and a third man called Jeferson da Silva Lima.

Continue reading...

Hacker claims to have obtained data on 1 billion Chinese citizens

Personal information allegedly taken from Shanghai police database would be one of biggest data breaches in history

A hacker has claimed to have stolen the personal information of 1 billion Chinese citizens from a Shanghai police database, in what would amount to one of the biggest data breaches in history if found to be true.

The anonymous hacker, identified only as “ChinaDan”, posted on hacker forum Breach Forums last week offering to sell the more than 23 terabytes (TB) of data for 10 bitcoin, equivalent to about $200,000 (£165,000).

Continue reading...

Fears for British Council staff trapped in Afghanistan despite breakthrough

Exclusive: Contractors at ‘high risk’ of Taliban reprisals still have no idea how to get out of country safely

More than 180 British Council contractors left trapped in Afghanistan have been given immediate permission by the UK government to apply online to come to Britain, but no hint of how to get out of the country safely.

The partial breakthrough came after a campaign led by MPs and former colleagues of the staff that had been horrified that they had been left behind, and exposed to retribution by the Taliban for teaching values of diversity and openness.

Continue reading...

Copenhagen shooting: police say no indication of terrorism motive

Gunman acted alone and appears to have selected his victims at random, officials in Denmark say

A shooting at a Copenhagen shopping centre in which three people were killed and four others seriously wounded was not terror-related, Danish police have said.

Søren Thomassen, Copenhagen’s chief police inspector, said the gunman, a 22-year-old Danish man who confessed to the shooting on Sunday night, had apparently picked his victims at random when he opened fire at the Field’s shopping centre on Sunday afternoon.

Continue reading...

Tycoon who disappeared from Hong Kong hotel in 2017 stands trial in China

Canadian-Chinese businessman Xiao Jianhua will finally stand trial in case linked to President Xi’s corruption drive

China has formally put Canadian-Chinese tycoon Xiao Jianhua on trial, more than five years after his alleged abduction in Hong Kong, which rattled the city and sparked fears about residents being forcibly disappeared.

The Canadian embassy in Beijing confirmed on Monday that Xiao’s trial had begun this week. “Canadian consular officials are monitoring this case closely, providing consular services to his family and continue to press for consular access,” it said in a statement, without providing the location of the trial and charges against him.

Continue reading...

Sri Lanka limits fuel to essential services with supplies set to run out in days

Miles-long queues outside petrol stations despite ban on sales for private vehicles for at least a week

Sri Lanka’s energy minister has said the country’s fuel supplies will run out in a few days, forcing nationwide school closures and prolonged power cuts, as the worst economic crisis in its history continues.

Kanchana Wijesekera said fuel stocks were enough to last less than a day under current demand, and petrol and diesel was being limited to essential services such a healthcare and public transport in order to stretch out the remaining supplies for a few more days and ensure the country did not shut down entirely.

Continue reading...

Uzbekistan imposes regional state of emergency after deadly unrest

Government U-turns over plans to curtail autonomy of Karakalpakstan but fears rise tensions may escalate

Eighteen people were killed and 243 wounded during unrest in Uzbekistan’s autonomous province of Karakalpakstan over plans to curtail its autonomy, Uzbek authorities said.

Security forces detained 516 people while dispersing protesters on Friday but have released many of them, the national guard press office told a briefing.

Continue reading...

Several killed in shooting at Copenhagen shopping centre

22-year-old Danish man in custody as police chief says terrorism cannot be ruled out as a motive

Danish police say several people were shot dead and one suspect has been arrested after gunfire rang out at a busy Copenhagen shopping centre, with emergency services rushing to the scene on Sunday evening.

The number or condition of all the people struck by shots was not immediately available amid confusion over what had occurred at one of Scandinavia’s biggest malls.

Continue reading...

Two women killed in shark attacks in Egypt’s Red Sea

A Romanian and an Austrian die within 600 metres of each other south of city of Hurghada

Two women have been killed in shark attacks in Egypt’s Red Sea, south of the city of Hurghada, the Egyptian environment ministry has said.

Two sources told Reuters that the body of a Romanian tourist in her late forties was discovered hours after an attack that left a 68-year-old Austrian woman dead. Both attacks happened within 600 metres of each other, off the coast of Sahl Hasheesh, according to the sources.

Continue reading...

Russia says it has full control of Luhansk region in Ukraine

Ukrainian military command confirms withdrawal of troops from city of Lysychansk to avoid ‘fatal consequences’

Russia has said it is in control of Ukraine’s eastern Luhansk region after taking over Lysychansk, the last Ukrainian-controlled city in the region.

The Russian defence minister, Sergei Shoigu, told Vladimir Putin on Sunday that their forces had established “full control” over Lysychansk and several nearby settlements, the Russian state news agency RIA Novosti reported.

Continue reading...

At least six dead after chunk of glacier breaks loose on Italian mountain

Authorities say another eight hikers injured following fall of ice, snow and rock on popular trail in Dolomites

At least six people have died after a large chunk of Alpine glacier broke loose and slid down a mountainside in Italy.

The collapse on Sunday afternoon sent ice, snow and rock slamming into hikers on a popular trail on the Marmolada peak, killing at least six and injuring eight, authorities said.

Continue reading...

India bars Pulitzer-winning Kashmiri photojournalist from flying to France

Sanna Irshad Mattoo says she was stopped by immigration officials at Delhi airport despite holding valid visa

Indian authorities have blocked a Pulitzer prize-winning Kashmiri photojournalist from taking a flight to Paris where she was to take part in a book launch and photography exhibition displaying her photos from Kashmir.

Sanna Irshad Mattoo, who works with Reuters as a multimedia journalist from Indian-administered Kashmir, was stopped at the Delhi airport by immigration officials on Saturday, despite holding a valid French visa.

Continue reading...