Police cited ‘malfunctioning’ barrier in New Orleans attack but didn’t take up maker’s offer to inspect and repair

Manufacturer says city has not taken up its offer to inspect – and, if necessary, repair – blockade at no cost

After the deadly truck ramming attack on New Orleans’s Bourbon Street early on New Year’s Day, local police said they had intentionally left down a hydraulic barrier meant to prevent such violence because it had a history of malfunctioning – prompting the blockade’s manufacturer to contact the city with an urgent offer of free inspection and maintenance, according to recently obtained emails.

“We would like to bring out a technician for no charge in order to inspect all the Delta Scientific barriers in New Orleans and ensure they are functional and offer any solutions for maintenance or repairs needed,” Dianne Kennedy, the company’s assistant to general counsel and manager of contracts, wrote to the office of the New Orleans mayor, LaToya Cantrell.

Continue reading...

Custody spat over New Orleans escape-artist dog settled with visitation agreement

Scrim the tramp terrier, known for his many getaways, now has a home and an extended family to look over him

Calling King Solomon.

The wiry terrier named Scrim who had virtually all of New Orleans looking for him while he spent most of the previous year on the run – enduring a hurricane, a historic snowfall and other perils – landed in the middle of an adoption controversy among those who recently brought him to heel again and then wanted to keep him.

Continue reading...

Trump heads to New Orleans as first sitting president to attend Super Bowl

NFL replaces ‘End Racism’ written into end zone with ‘Choose Love’ before Trump’s arrival at Louisiana stadium

Donald Trump is due to give himself a term report on his contentious first three weeks in office at tonight’s Super Bowl while becoming the first sitting president to attend the NFL’s title game between the Philadelphia Eagles and two-time defending championship winning Kansas City Chiefs.

The US president was expected to arrive at the Caesars Superdome where the game will be held in New Orleans at 3.50pm, according to the White House, and appear on the field about 4pm when he will be joined by House speaker Mike Johnson and New Orleans Saints owner Gayle Benson.

Continue reading...

Sexual abuse survivors grill NFL amid New Orleans Saints church scandal

Victim support groups call for investigation into whether Saints flouted NFL’s own commitments to prevent abuse

Clergy sexual abuse survivor support groups have called on the National Football League to investigate whether leaders of the New Orleans Saints flouted the NFL’s goals by campaigning alongside the city’s Roman Catholic archdiocese to soften critical media coverage of how the church handled its clerical molestation scandal.

A statement from the Survivors Network of Those Abused by Priests (Snap) pointed out how the NFL’s website expresses a commitment to “addressing and preventing domestic violence and sexual assault”. Yet emails first reported on Monday morning by the Guardian, its reporting partner WWL Louisiana, the Associated Press and the New York Times establish how the Saints – owned by the devout New Orleans Catholic Gayle Benson – and team executives were far more involved in helping its local archdiocese spin media coverage of the abuse scandal than the organizations had previously acknowledged.

Continue reading...

‘Shame on them’: anger and dismay from survivors over Saints clergy-abuse emails

Clergy abuse survivors and their supporters express pain over sports officials’ efforts to soften coverage of scandal

Survivors of Catholic clergy abuse and their supporters expressed disgust, pain and disbelief after the Guardian and WWL Louisiana’s investigation on Monday into hundreds of emails showing officials with the NFL’s Saints and NBA’s Pelicans aided New Orleans’ Roman Catholic archdiocese efforts to soften critical media coverage about the church’s management of a clerical molestation scandal.

Richard Windmann said it was “disturbing” to see the emails mention his decision to go public about his abuse as a child at the hands of a priest and janitor at Jesuit high school in New Orleans in the 1970s.

Continue reading...

New Orleans archbishop fires food bank leaders for refusing to fund abuse settlement

Bankrupt Roman Catholic archdiocese replaced members at church-affiliated non-profit over $16m dispute

The archbishop of New Orleans’ bankrupt Roman Catholic archdiocese on Thursday abruptly fired and replaced top leaders at a church-affiliated food bank, with those dismissed saying it was because the non-profit refused to contribute to paying survivors of child sexual abuse by clergymen.

The ousted members of Second Harvest’s board of directors say the changes “follow months of increasingly aggressive pressure placed on Second Harvest to contribute as much as $16m toward helping to resolve victims’ claims related to the church’s sexual abuse-related bankruptcy”, which has been pending since May 2020.

Continue reading...

US court rules banning gun sales to young adults under 21 unconstitutional

Conservative New Orleans court ruling for people between 18 and 21 comes amid major shifts in firearm legal landscape

A conservative US appeals court on Thursday ruled that a ban on handgun sales to people between the ages of 18 and 21 violates the second amendment.

The ruling, handed down by a panel of three judges on the fifth US circuit court of appeals in New Orleans, comes amid major shifts in the national firearm legal landscape following a landmark US supreme court decision that expanded gun rights in 2022.

Continue reading...

FBI releases more details on how New Orleans attacker planned his rampage

Authorities piece together timeline of radicalization of Shamsud-Din Jabbar, the US army veteran behind the attack

Before plowing a pickup truck into a crowd of New Year’s revelers in New Orleans and killing 14 people, the man who carried out the Islamic State group-inspired attack had researched how to access a balcony on the city’s famed Bourbon Street and looked up information about a similar attack at a Christmas market in Germany, the FBI said.

Nearly two weeks after Shamsud-Din Jabbar’s rampage, the FBI continues to uncover new information detailing the extensive planning by the 42-year-old US army veteran who scouted out the area multiple times in the months leading up to the attack. Authorities have also been piecing together a timeline of his radicalization.

Continue reading...

FBI warns of potential ‘copycat or retaliatory’ New Orleans attacks

Agency and DHS report possible threat from extremists in response to attack that killed more than a dozen people

The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and the US Department of Homeland Security (DHS) on Monday warned of a potential public safety threat from violent extremists in response to the New Year’s Day attack in New Orleans, Louisiana.

“The FBI and DHS are concerned about possible copycat or retaliatory attacks due to the persistent appeal of vehicle ramming as a tactic for aspiring violent extremist attackers. Previous attackers inspired by foreign terrorist organizations (FTOs) who have conducted vehicle attacks in the United States and abroad have used rented, stolen, and personally owned vehicles, which are easy to acquire,” the agencies said in a statement.

Continue reading...

FBI investigates potential associates of New Orleans attacker in US and abroad

Officials say evidence supports theory suspect, 42, carried out deadly attack alone but reveal leads are being pursued

Federal authorities investigating the avowed Islamic State (IS) sympathizer who carried out the New Year’s Day Bourbon Street terror attack in New Orleans said they are still investigating his potential associates elsewhere in the US and abroad.

In a news briefing, officials from the FBI and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) said they were pursuing leads in Houston, Atlanta and Tampa, Florida. They also revealed that Shamsud-Din Jabbar visited New Orleans twice in the months before the attack, and, on one of those trips, rode a bicycle up Bourbon Street wearing smart Meta glasses and also rode around the French Quarter neighborhood – ostensibly, officials said, to prepare for the attack that he carried out, killing 14 people and injuring dozens more.

Continue reading...

‘At a loss for words’: loved ones mourn victims of New Orleans truck attack

Family remembers Terrence Kennedy, 63, as ‘nicest person in the world’ after reporting he was one of 14 people killed

More victims of the New Year’s attack in New Orleans, which killed at least 14 people and injured dozens more, have been identified by their relatives, as authorities continue to investigate the fatal incident.

The New Orleans coroner’s office has released the names of 12 of the 14 victims who were killed when a man drove a pickup truck into crowds on Bourbon Street and then opened fire before being killed in a shootout with police, in what officials are investigating as an act of terrorism.

Continue reading...

New Orleans coroner releases identities of most truck attack victims

More than half of the 12 identified were from local areas and all ranged in age from 18 to 63

The New Orleans coroner’s office has released the identities of most of the 14 people killed in the deadly truck attack aimed at New Year’s Day revelers on the city’s famous Bourbon Street.

More than half of the 12 victims identified after being slain Wednesday by the attacker – a US army veteran who was shot dead by police – were from the New Orleans metropolitan area or other Louisiana communities. Others were residents of Alabama, Mississippi and New Jersey.

Continue reading...

FBI finds bomb-making material at home of New Orleans attack suspect

Investigators recover equipment from house rented by attacker who killed 14 and injured dozens on New Year’s Day

Authorities have confirmed finding bomb-making materials at the New Orleans home that US military veteran Shamsud-Din Jabbar rented before ramming a pickup truck into a crowd of New Year’s revelers, according to an FBI statement containing the most complete account yet of the attack.

Investigators recovered from Jabbar’s rental truck a transmitter intended to trigger the two bombs, the statement read, confirming prior media reporting.

Continue reading...

‘Worst-case scenario’: when needed most, New Orleans bollards were missing in action

Those barriers were being repaired – and others were down – when attacker struck, prompting questions

Like the rest of those living in New Orleans at the time, Aaron Miller – then the city’s homeland security director – was terrified after a gunman drove a truck into a crowd celebrating Bastille Day in the French coastal city of Nice in 2016, killing 86 people and wounding many more in a terrorist attack claimed by the Islamic State (IS).

Similar car attacks in Berlin, London, New York and Barcelona also put him on edge as he thought about the safety of his city.

Continue reading...

First Thing: Arrest of South Korean president Yoon Suk Yeol fails amid security force standoff

Anti-corruption officials say they were blocked by 200 presidential personnel. Plus, FBI says New Orleans terror suspect acted alone

Good morning.

South Korea’s political crisis took a dramatic turn on Friday when investigators were forced to abandon an attempt to arrest the impeached president, Yoon Suk Yeol, after a tense standoff with his security forces.

What are the details of Friday’s standoff? Local media reports said anti-corruption officials – who are leading a joint team of police and prosecutors – entered the compound to find themselves blocked by troops under the control of the presidential security service.

What happened on 3 December? Yoon declared martial law in an attempt to root out what he described as “anti-state, pro-North Korean” forces – a reference to opposition MPs in the national assembly. He did not provide any evidence for those claims, however. He was forced to lift the order six hours later after lawmakers forced their way past troops into the parliament building to vote it down.

What do we know about the New Orleans attack suspect? It’s understood Jabbar was born and raised in Texas, served in the US army from 2007-15, and in 2022 was $27,000 behind on house payments, he said in court documents. Jabbar’s brother told AP that in recent months he’d isolated himself.

Why didn’t steel bollards stop the attack? Seven years ago, officials began installing barriers at intersections in the French Quarter of the city. But the steel bollards were in the process of being replaced over New Year’s Eve.

Continue reading...

New Orleans: FBI probes ‘terrorist’ links in truck attack that killed 15 people – latest updates

Bureau says it is conducting search warrants in New Orleans ‘and other states’ as authorities do not believe Shamsud-Din Jabbar ‘was solely responsible’

China said on Thursday it was “shocked” by the attack in the southern US city of New Orleans that killed at least 15 people and injured dozens.

“We mourn the victims, and express our sympathy to their families and those injured,” foreign affairs spokesperson, Mao Ning, told a regular press conference.

We are shocked by this violent attack … China always opposes any violent and terrorist acts targeting civilians.”

Continue reading...

‘She was the sweetest person’: first details of New Orleans victims emerge

Victims identified include aspiring nurse, father of two and former football player

The victims of the New Year’s Day attack in New Orleans include an 18-year-old aspiring nurse, a 37-year-old father of two and a 27-year-old former football player.

Authorities have not yet released the names of those killed in the suspected terrorist attack, which claimed at least 15 people, but details began to emerge in local media on Wednesday as family members spoke out.

Ramon Antonio Vargas contributed reporting

Continue reading...

‘I heard the pops and I just ran’: New Orleans in shock after vehicle attack

Residents celebrating new year recall scrambling for cover as scenes unimaginable unfolded in the French Quarter

The silence on Bourbon Street told much of the story.

At the intersection that marks the centre of New Orleans’s noisy tourist hub, lined with tall palm trees and towering hotels, the quiet on the morning of New Year’s Day was broken only by yellow police tape fluttering in the light breeze and the occasional blare of sirens echoing on the road.

Continue reading...

‘Pure evil’: politicians condemn New Orleans attack as White House offers support

Biden briefed by FBI as Trump appears to refer to suspect as foreign national even though identity has not been confirmed

Political reaction to the New Year’s Day attack in New Orleans that is being investigated as a terrorist incident, came swiftly on Wednesday, with the White House saying that Joe Biden had been briefed by senior leadership at the FBI and by the leadership of the Department of Homeland Security.

The president also spoke by phone this morning with the New Orleans mayor, LaToya Cantrell, “to offer full federal support” according to the White House.

Continue reading...

Catholic priest accused of sexual assault fathered children of victims, court hears

Revelation emerges at hearing for Anthony Odiong, 55, charged with several counts and held in Texas on $5.5m bail

A Roman Catholic priest with links to Texas and Louisiana who is facing criminal charges for allegedly abusing his position of authority within the church to pursue sex with vulnerable women fathered at least two children with victims of his behavior, authorities have alleged.

The stunning information about Anthony Odiong surfaced at a bail hearing on Tuesday in Waco, Texas, where prosecutors have charged him with several counts of sexually assaulting women to whom he ministered.

Continue reading...