Trump set to attend Stormy Daniels hush-money court hearing in New York

Judge in Manhattan to rule on several issues including Trump’s motion to throw out case involving payment to adult film star

Donald Trump is expected to appear in Manhattan state court on Thursday morning for a hearing in his hush-money criminal case involving the adult film star Stormy Daniels and the playboy model Karen McDougal.

The judge, Juan Merchan, is expected to announce his decision on several issues, including the former US president’s motion to throw out the case.

Continue reading...

Putin says he prefers Biden to Trump and mocks Tucker Carlson’s questions

Russian president says Biden is ‘more predictable’, in remarks likely to be attempt to make mischief in US election

Vladimir Putin has said he would prefer a Joe Biden presidency to a Donald Trump one and mocked the former Fox News presenter Tucker Carlson for a “lack of sharp questions” during their interview at the Kremlin last week.

Asked by a Russian state journalist on Wednesday to choose between Biden and Trump, Putin said without hesitation that the current US president was “more experienced, predictable, an old-school politician”, but added: “We will work with any US president who the American people have confidence in.”

Continue reading...

Private moon lander lifts off aiming for first US lunar touchdown in 52 years

Intuitive Machines’ Nova-C lander sets off on SpaceX rocket from Cape Canaveral on weeklong journey

A moon lander built by the Houston-based aerospace company Intuitive Machines was launched from Florida early on Thursday on a mission to conduct the first US lunar touchdown in more than a half century and the first by a privately owned spacecraft.

The Nova-C lander, nicknamed Odysseus, lifted off shortly after 1am EST atop a Falcon 9 rocket flown by Elon Musk’s SpaceX from Nasa’s Kennedy Space Center in Cape Canaveral.

Continue reading...

Kansas City Chiefs parade shooting: what we know so far

At least one person was killed and 21 injured, including multiple children, in a shooting at the Chiefs’ Super Bowl victory parade

A mass shooting occurred at Wednesday’s Super Bowl victory parade for the Kansas City Chiefs football team, with gunshots erupting and multiple people struck.

Authorities have confirmed at least one person was killed and at least 21 were injured by gunfire. At least eight children were among those shot and eight people had immediately life-threatening injuries.

The shooting occurred at the end of the parade, which was expected to be attended by more than a million people, and sent terrified fans fleeing as police raced to find the perpetrators.

Police have detained three people in connection with the shooting, and recovered firearms from the scene.

Authorities said there is not yet a clear motive and said that much remains unknown. They have asked anyone with information or video of what occurred to contact police.

The Kansas City Star identified a victim who died. Lisa Lopez-Galvan, a local DJ and mother of two, died in surgery after being shot, friends told the newspaper.

The Kansas City Chiefs issued a statement, describing the incident as a “senseless act of violence” and said “our hearts go out to the victims, their families and all of Kansas City”. None of their players or staff were harmed.

Other players responded, including quarterback Patrick Mahomes and teammate Travis Kelce, who said he was “heartbroken”.

The Missouri governor, Mike Parson, and his wife were at the Chiefs rally when the shooting occurred and were unharmed.

The US president, Joe Biden, has released a statement on the shooting, calling for tougher gun control measures and saying that he and first lady Jill will “pray for those killed and injured”.

Witnesses have spoken of their horror and desperation after gunshots rang out, sparking panic among the tens of thousands who had turned out to celebrate.

The Kansas City police chief, Stacey Graves, said she was aware of reports that some fans may have helped apprehend of at least one of the suspects, but did not confirm that that occurred. Investigators were reviewing video footage, she said.

Graves used a press conference to praise the bravery of law enforcement officers and denounce the violence. “This is not Kansas City. I’m angry [about] what has happened … All the law enforcement that were there did the best they could, and I’m so proud of them, that they ran into danger.”

Kansas City mayor Quinton Lucas connected the tragedy back to the epidemic of mass shootings in the US and called for more action to stop them. “Today was tragic for everyone who was part of it,” Lucas said, adding that his wife put it into perspective when he called her after the shooting. “We became part of a statistic of too many Americans – those who have experienced or been part of or connected to a mass shooting,” he quoted her saying.

Continue reading...

Biden renews gun control plea after 22 shot in Kansas City – as it happened

This blog is now closed

The Missouri governor, Mike Parson, and his wife were at the Chiefs rally when the shooting occurred and were unharmed.

“This was a tragic conclusion to a celebration we had all looked forward to – none more than Teresa and me,” the governor said in a statement, according to local media. “The First Lady and I were present when shots broke out. Thanks to the professionalism of our security officers and first responders, Teresa and I and our staff are safe and secure.”

Continue reading...

UK could contribute to nuclear shield if Trump wins, suggests German minister

Comments draw Britain into debate about European security without US providing bulk of Nato’s nuclear deterrent

The UK could contribute to a new European nuclear shield if Donald Trump becomes US president again, a senior German minister has suggested, drawing British politicians into the debate about how Europe’s security could be bolstered in the event of the Republican frontrunner winning in November.

Questions over a European nuclear deterrence have intensified after Trump’s remarks on Saturday that he would not defend any Nato member that failed to spend 2% of its gross domestic product on defence – and would even encourage Russia to continue attacking.

Continue reading...

At least one killed and 21 injured in Kansas City Chiefs parade shooting

Three suspects have been arrested in connection to the shooting as the Super Bowl victory celebrations were wrapping up

At least one person was killed and 21 others injured, including multiple children, in Wednesday afternoon’s shooting that turned a Super Bowl victory parade for the Kansas City Chiefs into a scene of tragedy and chaos.

Authorities in Kansas City, Missouri, have said that three people were arrested in connection with the shooting near Union station, which took place as the celebration was wrapping up.

Continue reading...

Kansas City Chiefs denounce ‘senseless aviolence’ at Super Bowl victory parade

Mayor Quinton Lucas, who attended the parade, said it ‘seems like almost nothing is safe’ as NFL said it was ‘deeply saddened’

The NFL and the Kansas City Chiefs have denounced the mass shooting that killed one and injured nearly two dozen people, including at least eight children, during Wednesday’s Super Bowl parade celebrating the team’s victory as a “senseless act of violence”.

“We are truly saddened by the senseless act of violence that occurred outside of Union Station at the conclusion of today’s parade and rally,” the Chiefs said in a statement.

Continue reading...

Nearly 15% of Americans don’t believe climate change is real, study finds

Denialism highest in central and southern US, with Republican voters less likely to believe in climate science

Nearly 15% of Americans don’t believe climate change is real, a new study out of University of Michigan reveals – shedding light on the highly polarized attitude toward global warming.

Additionally, denialism is highest in the central and southern US, with Republican voters found less likely to believe in climate science.

Continue reading...

‘Just doing the right thing’: two women find missing US child after Amber alert

Abducted four-year-old boy in California reunited with family after Regan Dunn and Yenni Lee received alert and went to look for him

A missing four-year-old boy was reunited with his family on Tuesday evening after two women, who had received an Amber alert about an abducted child, located him.

The California highway patrol issued an alert for an abducted child in Long Beach and advised the public to be on the lookout for a gray Honda Accord. Police said the vehicle was stolen with Justin Chan inside after his parent left the car running while making a delivery.

Continue reading...

Mike Johnson justifies Mayorkas impeachment, claiming ‘desperate times call for desperate measures’ – live

House speaker also attacks Biden as unfit for office and plays down New York Democrat win; Democrats decry impeachment as ‘sham’

After the special counsel Robert Hur’s report, Mike Johnson says Biden is not fit to hold office.

“The DOJ is indicting one president with politically motivated charges and they are now carrying the water for another amid very similar allegations,” he said. “A man too incapable of being held accountable for handling classified information is certainly unfit for the Oval Office.”

Continue reading...

Nato chief rebukes Donald Trump and announces record defence spending

Jens Stoltenberg accuses Trump of undermining alliance and says 18 members are expected to invest at least 2% of GDP this year

Jens Stoltenberg, Nato’s secretary general, has accused Donald Trump of undermining the basis of the transatlantic alliance as he announced that 18 Nato members were expected to beat the target of spending more than 2% of GDP on defence.

It was the second rebuke by the Nato chief to the Republican frontrunner in less than a week, reinforced by a declaration that Germany was among the countries planning to spend over the threshold for the first time in a generation.

Continue reading...

Chicago scraps gunshot detection system accused of racial bias

Community groups say ShotSpotter system sends police to Black and Latino neighborhoods for unnecessary and hostile encounters

Chicago will not renew its ShotSpotter contract and plans to stop using the controversial gunshot detection system later this year, Mayor Brandon Johnson’s office announced on Tuesday.

The system, which relies on an artificial intelligence algorithm and network of microphones to identify gunshots, has been criticized for inaccuracy, racial bias and law enforcement misuse. An Associated Press investigation of the technology detailed how police and prosecutors used ShotSpotter data as evidence in charging a Chicago grandfather with murder before a judge dismissed the case due to insufficient evidence.

Continue reading...

Marvel announces Fantastic Four cast including Pedro Pascal and Vanessa Kirby

The two actors will be joined by The Bear’s Ebon Moss-Bachrach and Stranger Things breakout Joseph Quinn

Marvel has announced the cast for its much-anticipated reboot of Fantastic Four: Pedro Pascal, Vanessa Kirby, Ebon Moss-Bachrach and Joseph Quinn.

The film, about a quartet of superheroes with different powers, has been dated for 25 July 2025.

Continue reading...

Academics in US, UK and Australia collaborated on drone research with Iranian university close to regime

Exclusive: work by researchers from western universities and counterparts at Sharif University considered potentially ‘very dangerous’ by experts

Academics in the UK, Australia and the US collaborated on research related to drone technology with an Iranian university that is under international financial sanctions and known for its close ties to the military, the Guardian can reveal.

The collaborative research was described by one security expert as having direct military applications, while another called it potentially “very dangerous”. Iranian-made drones have been responsible for a number of deadly attacks in the Ukraine and Middle East conflicts, and their development is known to be a top priority for the government in Tehran.

Continue reading...

New York special election: Tom Suozzi wins seat vacated by George Santos in boost for Biden

The contest between Democrat Suozzi and little-known Republican Mazi Pilip was seen as a bellwether for November’s presidential election

Democrat Tom Suozzi won the New York congressional seat vacated by the disgraced Republican George Santos on Tuesday night, in a boost for Joe Biden ahead of the presidential election.

The victory narrows the slim Republican majority in the House and gives Democrats a much-needed win in New York City’s Long Island suburbs, where Republican candidates have shown strength in recent elections.

Continue reading...

Tennessee advances bill to ban people from helping minors obtain abortion

Proposed bill that could see prison sentences of up to 15 years for breaching rules moves forward in state legislature

Tennessee state legislators moved on Tuesday to advance a bill that would ban people from taking minors for an abortion without parental permission – an act that the bill has dubbed “abortion trafficking”.

If someone illegally “recruits, harbors, or transports a pregnant unemancipated minor” for an abortion, they could face three to 15 years in prison under the proposed bill, which has now advanced out of a state house subcommittee after a hearing.

Continue reading...

Lyft CEO says ‘My bad’ after earnings typo sends stock up 60%

The company had predicted it would grow by 5% in 2024, but later said that the real increase would be a factor of 10 lower

Lyft beat estimates for fourth-quarter profits on Tuesday as the ride-share platform reaps the benefits of growth in rides to stadiums and airports as well as heavy cost-cutting.

Company shares surged more than 60% in extended trading but erased most of those gains after Lyft’s chief financial officer corrected a major mistake in the earnings report. The company had predicted it would grow by 500 basis points (5%) in 2024, but later said that the real increase would be a factor of 10 lower – 50 basis points (0.5%). In 2023, the stock gained about 36%.

Continue reading...

LA mayor ‘terrified’ of tragedy as half-built skyscraper becomes stunt magnet

Karen Bass fears ‘someone’s going to fall or be pushed’ from Oceanwide Plaza, used by graffiti artists and parachutists

An abandoned high-rise tower in downtown Los Angeles has become a magnet for graffiti artists and parachuting stunts, leaving city officials furious.

“This isn’t art. It’s a crime,” Los Angeles police chief Michael Moore warned on Monday, saying the police were remaining at the site of the half-built development “as the city mobilizes resources to remove the graffiti and fortify the location”.

Continue reading...

David Cameron to meet EU ministers to seek more help for Ukraine

Foreign secretary wants an increase in European defence output and to give profits from seized Russian assets in Europe to Kyiv

David Cameron will discuss strengthening Ukraine’s defences and finances against further Russian aggression with European partners in light of the continuing threat of the US Congress refusing to provide further financial support.

The foreign secretary is due to visit Bulgaria and Poland before meeting a host of European foreign ministers at a security conference in Munich on Friday.

Continue reading...