US military strike kills three in second alleged drug boat attack this week
Move brings total number of people killed in US strikes on suspected boats since September to at least 148
The US military launched a strike on an alleged drug smuggling boat in the eastern Pacific on Friday, killing three men in its second strike this week.
“Intelligence confirmed the vessel was transiting along known narco-trafficking routes in the Eastern Pacific and was engaged in narco-trafficking operations,” US Southern Command, which oversees operations in Latin America and the Caribbean, said on Twitter/X.
Continue reading...5 European nations pledge millions to use Ukrainian know-how to make cheap drone defenses – AP News
- 5 European nations pledge millions to use Ukrainian know-how to make cheap drone defenses AP News
- UK agrees drone defence plan with four EU allies BBC
- 5 NATO allies agree to produce low-cost drones politico.eu
- E5 defence ministers in Krakow say 'Europe has woken up' Euronews.com
- 5 European allies pledge millions to build cheap drone defenses with Ukrainian know-how PBS
Catch of the day: Pictures from spectacular Nigerian fishing festival
RSF’s Hemetti backs African mediation following Museveni meeting – Sudan Tribune
- RSF’s Hemetti backs African mediation following Museveni meeting Sudan Tribune
- 'Affront to humanity': Sudan slams Uganda for hosting RSF paramilitary boss BBC
- Sudan condemns RSF chief’s visit to Uganda as minimising ‘human values’ Al Jazeera
- Uganda's Museveni holds talks with Sudan's RSF leader amid push to end war africanews.com
- West Darfur Governor: Rebel Hemedti Promotes a Morally Unviable Project Sudan Horizon
Russia-Ukraine war: List of key events, day 1,458
Russia-Ukraine war: List of key events, day 1,458
How photography helped the British empire classify India
US citizen shot and killed by federal immigration agent last year, new records show
Shooting death of Ruben Ray Martinez, 23, in Texas was not publicly disclosed by Department of Homeland Security
Newly released records show a US citizen was shot and killed in Texas by a federal immigration agent last year during a late-night traffic encounter that was not publicly disclosed by the Department of Homeland Security.
The death of Ruben Ray Martinez, 23, would mark the earliest of at least six deadly shootings by federal officers since the start of a nationwide immigration crackdown in Donald Trump’s second term. On Friday, DHS said the shooting on South Padre Island last March occurred after the driver intentionally struck an agent.
Continue reading...US military says it attacked vessel in Pacific Ocean, killing three people
These shy, scaly anteaters are the most trafficked mammals in the world – AP News
Nightly raids and violent beatings: Australia urged to accept citizens trapped in Syria as conditions in Roj camp deteriorate
Aid workers say the camp where 34 women and children are being held are ‘dire’ and present more risk than if they were repatriated
Get our breaking news email, free app or daily news podcast
Conditions in the north-eastern Syrian camp where 34 Australians have been forcibly returned are deteriorating dramatically, with reports of near-nightly raids, and increasingly violent beatings, amid worsening uncertainty over their futures.
The 11 women and 23 Australian children forced back to Roj camp on Monday returned to find their tents – formerly huddled collectively in a row known as Australia Street – demolished and their possessions seized.
Continue reading...Iran’s motorcycling midwife and rights campaigner is star of Oscar-tipped film
Killing of nationalist student leaves French far left in deep trouble as elections loom
Civilians to soldiers: how four years of war has changed ordinary Ukrainians
Why is South Korea angry that Yoon Suk Yeol wasn’t sentenced to death? – The Guardian
- Why is South Korea angry that Yoon Suk Yeol wasn’t sentenced to death? The Guardian
- Former South Korean president sentenced to life in prison for imposing martial law PBS
- An Enemy’s Fall Frees Up South Korea’s Leader. Now Comes the Tough Part. The New York Times
- South Korea's ex-President Yoon apologizes after life sentence over martial law NBC News
- The splitting image: Yoon verdict will deepen divisions The Economist
Furious Trump signs global 10% duty after supreme court issues tariff blow
President calls six justices a ‘disgrace to the nation’ while praising three justices who dissented
Donald Trump on Friday railed against the supreme court justices who blocked his use of tariffs, calling them a “disgrace to the nation”, and later signing documents imposing a 10% tariff on all countries.
Trump said he would immediately sign an order increasing tariffs globally by 10% under section 122 of the Trade Act of 1974 and will begin investigations of unfair trade practices allowing further tariffs. He asserted that he had the authority to impose additional tariffs under existing statutes without congressional approval.
Continue reading...Russia’s Ukraine ‘Victory’: NATO Expansion, 1.2 Million Casualties and a Battered Economy – 19FortyFive
- Russia’s Ukraine ‘Victory’: NATO Expansion, 1.2 Million Casualties and a Battered Economy 19FortyFive
- Russia’s economy has entered the death zone The Economist
- The Russian economy is now eating itself to death as Putin's war on Ukraine destroys future capacity Fortune
- Breakingviews - Moscow’s war funding sows seeds of long-term slump Reuters
- Russia: Economic Slowdown to Continue Through 2026... Jordan News
Ukraine liberates 300 square km in southern counteroffensive, Zelensky says — here’s what that means – The Kyiv Independent
- Ukraine liberates 300 square km in southern counteroffensive, Zelensky says — here's what that means The Kyiv Independent
- Russian Offensive Campaign Assessment, February 21, 2026 Institute for the Study of War
- Ukraine makes fastest battlefield gain in 2.5 years France 24
- Elon Musk flipped a switch. Now, Russia is desperately sending men up towers to die Scripps News
- Musk cuts Starlink access for Russian forces - giving Ukraine an edge at the front BBC
At least 10 killed in Israeli strikes in Lebanon’s Bekaa valley, health ministry says
Hezbollah leader among dead as Israel says it hit militant command centres
At least 10 people have been killed and 24 wounded – including three children – in Israeli strikes in Lebanon’s eastern Bekaa valley, the Lebanese health ministry has said.
Israel said it had hit “command centres” of the Lebanese militant group Hezbollah in the Bekaa valley. Two security sources told Reuters that senior Hezbollah leader Hussein Yaghi was killed in the attacks.
Continue reading...