The unanswered questions behind New Zealand’s volcano tragedy

It’s the worst burns incident in New Zealand history, with more than a dozen fatalities and lives still hanging in the balance. Now questions are being asked about how and why it happened. Reporters Eleanor Ainge Roy and Stephen D’Antal discuss how the week unfolded, and the long road ahead to understanding this tragedy

To learn more about this story read Melissa Davey’s piece on the long road ahead for the injured survivors, and Eleanor Ainge Roy’s reporting on how the local Maori people feel about Whakaari.

Continue reading...

Hong Kong violence breaks out again in shopping centres

Police make arrests and use pepper spray as flashmobs and vandalism break out

Hong Kong police used pepper spray and made arrests on Sunday as small groups of black-clad pro-democracy protesters targeted some of the city’s shopping centres, ending a rare lull in violence.

Flashmob protests and vandalism broke out in several locations. Riot police responded with pepper spray in at least two shopping centres as members of the public heckled them.

Continue reading...

Thousands join biggest protest in Bangkok since 2014 coup

Thai anti-government rally held in response to ban on Future Forward opposition party

Thousands of people joined the biggest protest in Bangkok since a 2014 coup on Saturday, after Thai authorities moved to ban a party that has rallied opposition to the government of the former military ruler Prayuth Chan-ocha.

The demonstration, called a day earlier by the Future Forward party leader, Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit, a 41-year-old billionaire, was reminiscent of the street protests that have roiled Bangkok over the past two decades of turbulent politics.

Continue reading...

North Korea claims successful ‘crucial test’ at long-range rocket site

Pyongyang continues to pressurise Trump administration for concessions

North Korea has said it successfully performed another “crucial test” at its long-range rocket launch site that it claims will further strengthen its nuclear deterrent.

The test may have included technologies to improve intercontinental ballistic missiles (ICBMs) which could potentially reach the continental US.

Continue reading...

Five Hong Kong teenagers arrested over death of man during protests

The three males and two females face charges over the killing of a 70-year-old who was hit with a brick during disturbances in November

Five Hong Kong teenagers have been arrested in connection with the death of a man hit on the head by a brick during clashes between pro- and anti-government protesters last month, police have said.

The three males and two females aged 15 to 18 were arrested on Friday on suspicion of murder, rioting and wounding and had been detained pending further investigation, police said in a statement.

Continue reading...

New Zealand volcano: 21-year-old Australian is first recovered victim to be named

Krystal Browitt was on White Island with father and sister when eruption occurred

Krystal Browitt, the 21-year-old Melbourne woman missing since the White Island volcano eruption, has become the first victim to be identified by police from the six bodies recovered from the island on Friday.

Browitt was on the island with her sister Stephanie and her father Paul when the volcano erupted. Stephanie is in a coma in hospital with her mother, Marie, who stayed on board their cruise ship instead of taking the volcano trip, at her bedside. Paul Browitt is being treated for burns in hospital in Melbourne.

Continue reading...

‘Nothing short of miraculous’: the long road ahead for injured survivors of White Island

Recovery won’t be easy for the Australians burned in the New Zealand volcano disaster, but some of the world’s best specialists are on hand to help

As families of the Australian survivors of the New Zealand volcano disaster wait anxiously on their loved ones’ prognosis, there will be a small comfort in knowing that some of the world’s best plastic surgeons and burns specialists will lead their care as they return home for treatment.

Specialist paramedics travelled to New Zealand as part of a medical evacuation team to accompany patients on their return, with 11 Australians flown to major burns units throughout the country including Concord hospital in Sydney and the Alfred hospital in Melbourne. More patients were expected to arrive on Friday evening.

Continue reading...

Around the world in a day, without leaving Shenzhen – a photo essay

For Chinese tourists who cannot travel, the Window of the World theme park offers versions of 130 global attractions. Photojournalist Anthony Micallef took a whistlestop tour

More than 3 million visitors a year flock to the Window of the World theme park in the megacity of Shenzhen to see 130 copies of the world’s largest tourist sites gathered in a single place.

For Chinese tourists who may not be able to travel out of the country this is their only chance of seeing the New York skyline, the pyramids of Giza or the Taj Mahal – or smaller replicas of them, at least.

Continue reading...

‘I hate Isis’: uprooted survivors of Marawi siege long to return home

Two years after their city on the Philippine island of Mindanao was liberated, tens of thousands of people driven from their homes remain in limbo

Thousands of survivors of an Islamic State siege in the Philippines are stuck in makeshift dwellings more than two years after their city was liberated, with many forced to drink contaminated water despite the presence of EU-funded aid agencies.

They were among an estimated 350,000 people driven from their homes when Islamist fighters seized control of the city of Marawi, on the island of Mindanao, in May 2017.

Continue reading...

New Zealand volcano eruption: dive teams search for two bodies off White Island – live

Six bodies transferred to HMNZS Wellington by helicopter, as divers continue search for final two missing

The NZ defence force have released images of those who took part in the mission to recover the remaining bodies from White Island this morning.

We are expecting the New Zealand prime minister, Jacinda Ardern, to hold a news conference in the next few minutes and will bring you that as soon as it begins.

Continue reading...

Traditional Thai massage gains Unesco heritage status

Practice of nuad Thai, which has gained global recognition, is added to Unesco’s ‘intangible cultural heritage’ list

The body-folding, sharp-elbowed techniques of Thai massage have been added to Unesco’s prestigious heritage list.

Originating in India and practised in Thailand for centuries, the massage was popularised when a special school opened in the 1960s to train massage therapists from around the world.

Continue reading...

The Kingmaker review – exquisitely horrible portrait of Imelda Marcos

The former first lady of the Philippines is revealed as a monstrous, loathsome, absurdly queenly figure in Lauren Greenfield’s superb documentary

Lauren Greenfield’s film about the Philippines’ former first lady Imelda Marcos reveals a grotesquely self-pitying, wholly unrepentant and very rich woman, who has clearly still kept her hands on a great deal of the American aid money that successive US presidents once gave the Philippines in return for suppressing communism and civil rights and showing hospitality to US naval power – cash that she and her husband, Ferdinand, looted from the public purse and salted away abroad.

Related: 'She's an unreliable narrator': Lauren Greenfield on her Imelda Marcos documentary

Continue reading...

New Zealand volcano: police plan body retrieval on Friday despite eruption risk

Deputy commissioner says police have been facing increasing pressure from victims’ families to recover bodies from White Island

The New Zealand military will deploy to White Island at first light in an attempt to bring eight bodies home to their desperate families – despite a serious risk of the volcano erupting again.

Eight specialist military personnel will land on the island on Friday morning local time (Thursday evening UK) in an operation that is expected to last several hours, and involves multiple risk factors including the Island’s heightened seismic activity, the weather, and conditions on the ground.

Continue reading...

New Zealand volcano death toll rises to eight

Two more people have died from injuries sustained during the eruption on White Island

Two more people have died from injuries sustained during the eruption of New Zealand’s White Island volcano, bringing the confirmed death toll from the disaster to eight.

Related: New Zealand surgeons working 'non-stop' to help volcano victims

Continue reading...

Earliest known cave art by modern humans found in Indonesia

Pictures of human-like hunters and fleeing mammals dated to nearly 44,000 years old

Cave art depicting human-animal hybrid figures hunting warty pigs and dwarf buffaloes has been dated to nearly 44,000 years old, making it the earliest known cave art by our species.

The artwork in Indonesia is nearly twice as old as any previous hunting scene and provides unprecedented insights into the earliest storytelling and the emergence of modern human cognition.

Continue reading...

New Zealand surgeons working ‘non-stop’ to help volcano victims

Country’s health authorities said to have ordered 1.2m sq cm of skin to treat burn injuries

Surgeons are working around the clock to help tourists who suffered horrendous burn injuries in the eruption of the New Zealand’s White Island volcano, health experts have said.

New Zealand health authorities have reportedly ordered 1.2 million sq cm of skin from the US in order to treat those injured: 27 of whom had burns to more than 30% of their body, with some having burns to 90-95% of their body. For context, experts say the palm of a hand is about 1.5% of the area of the body.

Continue reading...

China steps in as Zambia runs out of loan options

Southern Africa’s third largest economy is a textbook example of the increasing debt facing a fast-growing continent

Zambia’s capital, Lusaka, was having a power cut, so the only light in the restaurant was from Fumba Chama’s mobile phone. The rapper, better known as PilAto, had just finished uploading a new track to Twitter. The bitter-sweet lyrics (in Bemba) of Yama Chinese describe the concerns of many Zambians: “They put on smart suits and fly to China to sell our country. The roads belong to China. The hotels are for the Chinese. The chicken farms are Chinese. Even the brickworks are Chinese.”

Continue reading...

New Zealand volcano: first Australian victims of White Island disaster named – updates

Families of Julie and Jessica Richards from Brisbane, and Gavin Dallow and Julie Hosking in Adelaide, confirm deaths

Here are some edited excerpts from this afternoon’s press conferences with police and health officials, plus a volcano expert.

New Zealand police have released the names of nine confirmed victims. Seven of them are Australian, two are New Zealanders.

Continue reading...

Foreign experts quit Hong Kong police brutality inquiry over lack of powers

Panel recruited to ensure objectivity cite failure to agree formal process with police complaints commission

A panel of foreign experts overseeing an investigation into allegations of excessive force used by the Hong Kong police force has said it is stepping down, further calling into question the probe.

For months anti-government protesters have been demanding an independent investigation into allegations of police brutality in response to the demonstrations. The government has repeatedly said an independent inquiry is unnecessary and that the existing police watchdog, the Independent Police Complaints Council (IPCC), should complete its review first.

Continue reading...

Hong Kong democracy protester says he was ambushed by masked Chinese men in Australia

Exclusive: ‘Frontline’ protester alleges he was chased by group but Chinese embassy says allegations are ‘nonsense’

A “frontline” Hong Kong democracy protester who recently fled the territory in fear of his safety says he was ambushed and chased in an Australian city by a group of masked Chinese men.

“They were nearby my house and waiting for me,” Jack* told Guardian Australia. “They knew my address, they knew where I was going to be.

“I think they don’t want to hurt me, they just want to make me scared. It was like intimidation, a message that ‘we know where you are’.”

Guardian Australia has been able to confirm some elements of Jack’s story, including that he arrived in Australia a few months ago and has attended pro-Hong Kong demonstrations since arriving. He has since reported the incident to police.

Human rights advocates and China experts say the claims match a trend of intimidation and surveillance on Australian soil. Several recent incidents – including a brawl at the University of Queensland where pro-China participants were praised by the consulate – have raised concerns about the extraterritorial activities of China, including the state’s pursuit of critics beyond its borders.

Continue reading...