Iran provides ‘technical support’ for Russian drones killing civilians, says US

Iranians brought trainers and technical support to Crimea to help Russians use drones ‘with better lethality’, White House says

Iran has significantly deepened its involvement in Russia’s invasion of Ukraine by providing technical support for Russian pilots flying Iranian-made drones to bomb civilian targets, the White House has confirmed.

The national security council lead spokesperson, John Kirby, said on Thursday that it was the US’s understanding that the Iranian advisers were in Crimea to provide training and maintenance – but not to actually pilot the drones – after Russian forces experienced difficulties in operating the unmanned flying bombs.

Continue reading...

US says Iranian troops ‘directly engaged’ in Crimea supporting Russian drone strikes – as it happened

‘Relatively small number’ of troops helping Russian forces, says John Kirby, national security council spokesperson

Joe Biden described Liz Truss as a “good partner on Russia and Ukraine,” after the British prime minister announced she would step down after just 45 days in office.

Speaking to reporters at the White House before leaving for Pennsylvania, Biden added, “The British are going to solve their problems.”

Continue reading...

Ukraine plans power cuts after Russian strikes on plants

Local ‘stabilisation blackouts’ will take place around country at times between 7am and 10pm

Ukraine has introduced an emergency schedule of power cuts to help stabilise the country’s energy supply, which has been badly damaged by more than 300 Russian drone and missile attacks over the past 10 days as the weather turns cooler.

The country’s president, Volodymyr Zelenskiy, said people needed to be “especially conscious of electricity consumption” from 7am and avoid using unnecessary appliances as he warned of local “stabilisation blackouts”.

Continue reading...

Canada supreme court refuses to hear appeal in blow to residential school survivors

Survivors of St Anne’s Indian residential school allege government withheld key evidence in determining compensation for victims

Canada’s supreme court has declined to hear an appeal brought by a group of Indigenous residential school survivors, dealing a major blow to their decade-long fight against federal government over thousands of unreleased documents.

Survivors of St Anne’s Indian residential school had hoped the country’s top court would take their case, which alleges Canada’s federal government withheld key evidence in determining compensation for victims of abuse at the school in northern Ontario.

Continue reading...

Vanuatu to welcome first female MP since 2008 after snap election

Vanuatu Election Commission yet to declare official results but Julia King likely to be lone female voice in 52-member parliament

Votes are still being counted in Vanuatu’s snap election, but with the preliminary votes tallied, one change seems certain: Vanuatu’s all-male parliament is no more, with the first woman elected to office since 2008 likely to be announced within days.

“I’m excited for Vanuatu women of course,” Julia King said. King looks set to be returned as the MP for Mele on the outskirts of the capital of Port Vila. “I’m happy for women in general to know they have a voice that can be represented up there. That’s the part I can be excited about.”

Continue reading...

Dozens dead in Chad capital as security forces fire on protesters

‘Rebels’ accused of setting fire to ruling party HQ during demonstrations calling for faster democratic transition

Security forces in Chad’s capital, N’Djamena, have violently dispersed banned protests calling for a quicker transition to democratic rule, leaving at least 50 dead and dozens injured, according to the country’s prime minister.

Palls of black smoke could be seen in some areas in N’Djamena and the crack of teargas grenades could be heard throughout much of the day. Several roads had been blocked with barricades and burning tyres and most shops closed their doors to avoid looting.

Continue reading...

Italy slams Economist ‘Welcome to Britaly’ cover for rehashing stereotypes

Weekly newspaper describes Britaly as ‘country of political instability, low growth and subordination to markets’

Italy’s ambassador to the UK has criticised the Economist for rehashing old stereotypes after featuring Liz Truss dressed as a centurion and holding a fork of spaghetti under the headline “Welcome to Britaly” on the cover of its latest edition, which focuses on Britain’s political mayhem.

Truss, who resigned as prime minister on Thursday after just 45 days in office, is also holding a pizza-shaped shield, with a union jack design and one slice eaten.

Continue reading...

Head of WHO’s Syria office faces allegations of fraud and abuse

Numerous complaints made about Dr Akjemal Magtymova, AP reports after whistleblower leak

The head of the World Health Organization’s Syria office has been accused of widespread mismanagement, including misspending donor money, plying government officials with gifts and pressing for contracts to be signed with regime officials and politicians.

Staff at the UN organisation have made numerous complaints about Dr Akjemal Magtymova, who has led WHO’s Syrian operations for almost three years, according to an investigation by the Associated Press.

Continue reading...

Schoolboy protester dies in Iran after reportedly being shot at close range

Abolfazl Adinezadeh reportedly shot at from less than a metre away by security forces in city of Mashhad

A 17-year-old schoolboy has died in Iran’s second largest city, Mashhad, after reportedly being shot at close range by state forces during anti-government protests.

Abolfazl Adinezadeh’s death certificate showed that he died of liver and kidney damage caused by birdshot, according to a BBC Persian report. A doctor was cited as estimating the distance from which the teenager was shot on 8 October as less than 1 metre.

Continue reading...

Russia threatens to ‘reassess collaboration’ with UN chief over drone inspection

Ambassador denies drones fired on Ukraine are supplied by Iran and calls UN investigation ‘illegitimate’

Russia has threatened that it will reassess cooperation with the United Nations secretary general, António Guterres, if he sends United Nations experts to Ukraine to inspect drones that western powers say were made in Iran and used by Moscow in violation of a UN resolution.

Speaking after a closed-door UN security council meeting on Moscow’s use of drones, Russia’s deputy UN ambassador, Dmitry Polyanskiy, called on Guterres and his staff to “abstain from engaging in any illegitimate investigation”. He also threatened Russia would withdraw from the grain deal that has allowed Ukrainian grain to be transported out of Black Sea ports.

Continue reading...

Hedley frontman Jacob Hoggard sentenced to five years for sexual assault

Musician was found guilty earlier this year for sexually assaulting an Ottawa woman in a ‘particularly degrading rape’

Jacob Hoggard, the front man for the Canadian band Hedley, has been sentenced to five years in prison on Thursday after he was found guilty earlier this year of sexually assaulting an Ottawa woman in what the presiding judge called a “particularly degrading rape”.

Ontario superior court justice Gillian Roberts said she accepted the woman’s testimony in its entirety and said it involved “gratuitous degradation” and “gratuitous violence”.

Information and support for anyone affected by rape or sexual abuse issues is available from the following organisations. In the US, Rainn offers support on 800-656-4673. In the UK, Rape Crisis offers support on 0808 802 9999. In Australia, support is available at 1800Respect (1800 737 732). Other international helplines can be found at ibiblio.org/rcip/internl.html

Continue reading...

West Bank visitors ordered to register romances as Israel brings in strict rules

Curbs on people falling in love with a Palestinian among measures expected to stifle economy and academia and hit aid agencies

Israel has implemented strict rules limiting the ability of foreigners to enter and stay in the occupied West Bank despite international criticism of the measures, which include the compulsory declaration of romantic relationships.

A 90-page ordinance replacing the previous four-page document came into effect on Thursday for a two-year pilot period. It is expected to stifle the Palestinian economy and academia and the work of aid agencies, and create complications for hundreds of thousands of Palestinian families with dual nationality, who are already struggling to navigate a convoluted permit system.

Continue reading...

French right votes down move to make abortion constitutional right

Further proposals to be put before lower house next month after first attempt rejected in senate

The French government has said it supports making the country the first in the world to enshrine abortion as a constitutional right, after the right-dominated senate voted down the left’s first attempt at a proposal.

Several political parties in France, from the left to the centrist lawmakers of Emmanuel Macron’s Renaissance party, began pushing for abortion rights to be written into the constitution after the US supreme court’s decision in June to overturn the landmark Roe v Wade ruling, which recognised a woman’s constitutional right to an abortion and legalised it nationwide.

Continue reading...

Indonesia bans sale of syrup medicines after at least 99 child deaths

Country investigating 206 cases of kidney injury that could be linked to ingredients in liquid medicines

Indonesia has banned the sale of all syrup medicines as it investigates the deaths this year of nearly 100 children, warning that the liquids may contain ingredients linked to fatal kidney injuries.

The move comes just weeks after the World Health Organization issued an alert over four Indian-made cough syrups that it said were potentially linked with acute kidney injuries and the deaths of 70 children in the Gambia.

Continue reading...

‘Nature is striking back’: flooding around the world, from Australia to Venezuela

Heavy rain and rising waters continue to take a deadly toll in countries including Nigeria, Thailand and Vietnam

It has been a drenched 2022 for many parts of the world, at times catastrophically so. A year of disastrous flooding perhaps reached its nadir in Pakistan, where a third of the country was inundated by heavy rainfall from June, killing more than 1,000 people in what António Guterres, the UN secretary general, called an unprecedented natural disaster.

While floods are indeed natural phenomena, a longstanding result of storms, the human-induced climate crisis is amplifying their damage. Rising sea levels, driven by melting glaciers and the thermal expansion of water, are increasingly inundating coastal areas, while warmer temperatures are causing more moisture to accumulate in the atmosphere, which is then released as rain or snow.

Continue reading...

Ministers urged to expel China diplomat over Manchester protest violence

UK government facing growing criticism for ‘weak’ response to attack on democracy campaigner

British ministers have been urged immediately to expel a senior Chinese diplomat who admitted being involved in violence against protesters in Manchester, as the government faced growing criticism over its “weak and supine” response.

Zheng Xiyuan, the Chinese consul general, said it was his “duty” to grab the hair of a pro-democracy campaigner who was badly injured after being dragged inside the consulate grounds on Sunday.

Continue reading...

China using influencers to whitewash human rights abuses, report finds

Social media videos by people from the Uyghur community are part of a sophisticated propaganda campaign, thinktank says

The Chinese Communist party is using social media influencers from troubled regions like Xinjiang, Tibet and Inner Mongolia to whitewash human rights abuses through an increasingly sophisticated propaganda campaign, a report has claimed.

The report published on Thursday by the Australian Strategic Policy Institute (ASPI), described the videos by “frontier influencers” as a growing part of Beijing’s “propaganda arsenal”.

Continue reading...

Canada’s largest grocer to freeze prices amid profiteering accusations

Loblaw Companies says it will lock in prices of ‘no name’ amid looming parliamentary investigation into the food retail industry

Canada’s largest grocer has announced a price freeze on its low-cost product line, amid accusations of profiteering a worsening cost of living crisis – and a looming parliamentary investigation into the food retail industry.

Inflation figures on Wednesday showed that grocery prices in the country rose 11.4% over last month, continuing a surge not seen in more than four decades.

Continue reading...

YouTube and Facebook letting Brazil election disinformation spread, NGO says

Global Witness produced – and withdrew – purposely misleading ads that were all approved by YouTube, and half by Facebook

YouTube and Facebook are allowing disinformation to be spread about Brazil’s election campaign, adding to the bitterness in an already polarised and violent election, according to a new report by the human rights organisation Global Witness.

The NGO produced a series of purposely misleading ads during an election season that has been dominated by the bitter race between far-right incumbent Jair Bolsonaro and his leftist challenger, former president Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva.

Continue reading...

Russia-Ukraine war: UK sanctions Iran over drones used in Russian attacks in Ukraine; Kyiv restricts power use – as it happened

UK implements new sanctions on Iran for supplying Russia with drones; Ukrainians prepare for hours-long power outages. This live blog is now closed

Oleh Synyehubov, governor of Kharkiv, has posted a status update for Thursday which says that yesterday two people died and four more were injured when “a car with employees of the state emergency service was blown up by a mine” in the Izium district.

He also said “a 78-year-old resident of Izium district was hospitalised with injuries during the day”.

It is Martin Belam taking over the live blog in London. You can contact me at martin.belam@theguardian.com

It likely indicates that the Russian authorities are seriously considering a major withdrawal of their forces from the area west of the Dnipro river.

A key challenge of any Russian withdrawal operation would be extracting troops and their equipment across the 1000m wide river in good order.

Continue reading...