War on drugs prolonged Colombia’s decades-long civil war, landmark report finds

Truth commission’s report, touted as a chance to heal after half a century of bloodshed, called for a ‘substantial change in drug policy’

The punitive, prohibitionist war on drugs helped prolong Colombia’s disastrous civil war, the country’s truth commission has found, in a landmark report published on Tuesday as part of an effort to heal the raw wounds left by conflict.

The report, titled “There is a future if there is truth” was the first instalment of a study put together by the commission that was formed as part of a historic 2016 peace deal with the leftist rebels of the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (Farc).

Continue reading...

Wimbledon relaxes strict all-white rule so players can show support for Ukraine

The tournament is understood to have made a rare exception to its dress code, with some players wearing ribbons in solidarity

Wimbledon is abandoning its strict all-white rule for players who want to show solidarity with Ukraine after Russia’s invasion, it is understood.

Poland’s Iga Świątek, the women’s world No 1, wore a blue and yellow ribbon on her cap today in a sign of unity with Ukraine. The Ukrainian players Lesia Tsurenko and Anhelina Kalinina are also expected to wear ribbons when they come up against each other on Wednesday.

Continue reading...

Turkey lifts objections to Finland and Sweden’s Nato bid

Ankara had previously blocked the Nordic countries from joining the alliance over concerns about arms exports and terrorism

A last minute agreement has been reached between Turkey, Finland and Sweden to allow the two Nordic countries to become Nato members on the eve of the military alliance’s summit in Madrid.

Nato said a trilateral deal had been reached at a meeting between Turkey’s president, Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, President Sauli Niinistö of Finland and the Swedish prime minister, Magdalena Andersson, in the Spanish capital.

Continue reading...

UK calls for extra vigilance on China ahead of Nato summit

Boris Johnson and Liz Truss among those saying Ukraine war highlights potential Chinese threat to Taiwan

Boris Johnson and his ministers are going into the Nato summit with fresh warnings that the Russian invasion of Ukraine has shown the need for extra vigilance and caution over potential Chinese action against Taiwan.

Liz Truss, the foreign secretary, who is joining the prime minister at the Nato gathering in Madrid, was most explicit, calling for faster action to help Taiwan with defensive weapons, a key requirement for Ukraine since the invasion.

Continue reading...

More than 100 murders in 18 months in Syria’s al-Hawl camp, UN says

Many victims at detention facility for families of Islamic State fighters have been women, top official says

More than 100 people, including many women, have been murdered in a Syria’s al-Hawl detention camp in 18 months, according to the UN.

The camp is becoming increasingly unsafe and child detainees are being condemned to a life with no future, said Imran Riza, the UN resident coordinator in Syria, who called on countries to repatriate their citizens from the sprawling facility.

Continue reading...

Hamas releases video of Israeli citizen held captive since 2015

Hisham al-Sayed seen lying in bed wearing a mask, with what appears to be an oxygen canister next to him

Gaza’s Hamas rulers have released a video of a captive Israeli citizen held incommunicado since 2015, showing the man lying in a hospital bed wearing an oxygen mask.

It was the first image of Hisham al-Sayed to be released since he wandered across the frontier from southern Israel into Gaza. Its release came a day after Hamas said the condition of one of the Israelis it was holding captive had deteriorated.

Continue reading...

Fifty-one inmates die in Colombia prison riot

Prisons agency boss says fire broke out after inmates lit mattresses during protest at jail in Tuluá

Fifty-one inmates have died during a riot in a prison in the Colombian city of Tuluá in one of the worst recent incidents of its kind in the country.

The director of the national prisons agency said a fire had started during a protest by prisoners overnight.

Continue reading...

Russia-Ukraine war: At least two killed after Russian shelling in Donetsk – as it happened

This live blog is now closed, we will be returning in a few hours to bring you all the latest developments.

The Ukrainian authorities of Mariupol have posted a message from the city’s mayor, Vadym Boychenko, expressing concern for the fate of the elderly in the city under the occupying forces of Russia. It quotes him saying:

People of respectable age were taken care of in Mariupol. They created conditions for them to meet a decent old age. But the Russian occupiers took it away from them. Instead, they are forced to somehow survive without quality medical care, without medication and care. Most of them are children of World War II, for whom the Russian occupiers repeated what the whole world says “never again.” Staying in the city is dangerous for their health, because they will be the first to suffer from infectious outbreaks.

Continue reading...

Boris Johnson seeks to defuse row over abandoning defence spending pledge

PM insists manifesto promise of above-inflation increase will be kept despite Downing Street ‘reality check’ briefing

Boris Johnson faces a potential rift with senior ministers and generals at the start of a vital Nato summit in Madrid, after Downing Street indicated it would ditch a key manifesto commitment on defence spending.

In a chaotic sequence of events, a senior government source said there needed to be “a reality check” on the pledge to increase the defence budget each year by 0.5% above inflation, only for Johnson to try to argue it would be achieved.

Continue reading...

Fifty-one migrants found dead inside abandoned Texas trailer truck

Mexican foreign minister mourns ‘huge tragedy’ as US investigates effort to smuggle people across border

Fifty-one people believed to be migrants were found dead and at least a dozen others were hospitalized after being found inside an abandoned tractor-trailer rig on Monday on a remote back road in south-west San Antonio, officials have said.

The discovery in Texas may prove to be the deadliest tragedy among thousands of people who have died attempting to cross the US border from Mexico in recent decades.

Continue reading...

Italian hairdressers face fines for shampooing amid heatwave

Mayor of town near Bologna says thousands of litres of water wasted due to double-shampooing of customers’ hair

The mayor of an Italian town has banned hairdressers and barbers from shampooing their customers’ hair twice in an attempt to conserve water during one of the most severe droughts in decades.

Carlo Gubellini, the mayor of Castenaso, near Bologna in the Emilia-Romagna region, said thousands of litres of water was squandered each day through double-shampooing, which many hairdressers believe is beneficial, and hence double-rinsing.

Continue reading...

Former Nazi camp guard, 101, convicted of complicity in murders

Josef Schütz given five-year jail sentence in Germany but is unlikely to be put behind bars

A German court has handed a five-year jail sentence to a 101-year-old former Nazi concentration camp guard, the oldest person so far to go on trial for complicity in war crimes during the Holocaust.

Josef Schütz was found guilty on Tuesday of being an accessory to murder while working as a prison guard at the Sachsenhausen camp in Oranienburg, north of Berlin, between 1942 and 1945.

Continue reading...

Cop15: lack of political leadership leaves crucial nature summit ‘in peril’, warn NGOs

Nairobi biodiversity talks end in stalemate, prompting open letter to world leaders calling for action before Montreal conference

UN biodiversity negotiations have reached crisis point due to a lack of engagement from governments, leading NGOs have warned, three years after experts revealed that Earth’s life-support systems are collapsing.

Last week, countries met in Nairobi for an extra round of talks on an agreement to halt the human-driven destruction of the natural world, with the final targets set to be agreed at Cop15 in Montreal. Governments have never met a target they have set for themselves on halting the destruction of nature despite scientists warning in 2019 that one million species face extinction, and that nature is declining at rates unprecedented in human history.

Continue reading...

First Thing: at least 46 people found dead in Texas trailer truck

Further 16 people in hospital after tragedy in San Antonio. Plus, Louisiana judge blocks abortion ban

Good morning.

Forty-six people were found dead and 16 others were taken to hospital after being found inside a tractor-trailer rig yesterday on a remote back road in south-west San Antonio, Texas officials have said.

Has anyone been arrested? Three people were taken into custody but it was unclear if they were connected to human trafficking, McManus said. US Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) have launched a federal investigation into the deaths, with support of local police and the border force.

What else do we know? Here’s everything we know about the trailer truck deaths so far.

What’s happening in California? California voters will decide in November whether to guarantee the right to an abortion in their state constitution.

What has Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez said about the supreme court justices? The congresswoman says Brett Kavanaugh and Neil Gorsuch lied under oath to Congress about their views on Roe.

Continue reading...

Malaysian foreign minister says concerns remain about Aukus pact after meeting with Penny Wong

Saifuddin Abdullah points to risk of regional arms race but pledges increased trade and cooperation on cybersecurity with Australia

Malaysia’s foreign minister, Saifuddin Abdullah, has said that his country’s concerns about the Aukus nuclear submarine pact remain unchanged, after a meeting in Kuala Lumpur on Tuesday with his Australian counterpart, Penny Wong.

Saifuddin told reporters he communicated Malaysia’s ongoing concern about the security deal between Australia, the UK and the US during a “very candid” discussion with Wong on her first visit to the Malaysian capital as Australia’s foreign minister.

Continue reading...

World leaders condemn Russian attack on Ukraine shopping centre

G7 leaders say missile strike on mall in Kremenchuk was a war crime, as rescue efforts continue

World leaders have denounced Russia’s deadly strike on a shopping centre in the Ukrainian city of Kremenchuk as “abominable” and a war crime.

The search for survivors continues after the missile strike on a mall that had more than 1,000 people in it at the time, according to Ukraine’s president, Volodoymyr Zelenskiy.

Continue reading...

San Antonio: what we know about the trailer truck deaths

Incident marks one of the deadliest tragedies involving people attempting to cross US border from Mexico in recent decades

Forty-six people were found dead in a sweltering tractor-trailer that was abandoned on a remote back road in San Antonio, Texas shortly before 6pm local time (12am GMT) on Monday.

Sixteen people were taken to hospital, including four children, and treated for heat stroke and exhaustion.

A San Antonio fire department official said they found “stacks of bodies” and no signs of water in the truck. “The patients that we saw were hot to the touch, they were suffering from heat stroke, exhaustion,” the San Antonio fire chief, Charles Hood, told a news conference. “It was a refrigerated tractor-trailer but there was no visible working A/C unit on that rig.”

A city worker heard a cry for help from the truck and discovered the gruesome scene, the police chief, William McManus, said.

A spokesperson for US Immigration and Customs Enforcement (Ice) said that its Homeland Security Investigations division was investigating “an alleged human smuggling event” in coordination with local police.

San Antonio mayor Ron Nirenberg said the 46 who died had “families who were likely trying to find a better life … This is nothing short of a horrific human tragedy.'”

Texas governor Greg Abbott, a Republican running for reelection, said in a tweet: “These deaths are on Biden. They are a result of his deadly open border policies.”

Mexico’s foreign minister, Marcelo Ebrard, called the suffocation of the people in the truck the “tragedy in Texas” on Twitter and said consular officials would go to the hospitals where victims had been taken to help “however possible”.

A spokesman for the Honduran foreign ministry told Reuters the country’s consulates in Houston and Dallas would be investigating the incident. Ebrard said two Guatemalans were sent to hospital and Guatemala’s foreign ministry said on Twitter that consular officials were going to the hospital “to verify if there are two Guatemalan minors there and what condition they are in”.

The incident is among the deadliest tragedies to have claimed thousands of lives of people attempting to cross the US border from Mexico in recent decades. Ten migrants died in 2017 after being trapped inside a truck that was parked at a Walmart in San Antonio.

South Texas has long been the busiest area for border crossings. People ride in vehicles though border patrol checkpoints to San Antonio, the closest major city, from which point they disperse across the United States.

Continue reading...

V&A to display its first African fashion exhibition

Galleries will showcase designers who are often overlooked, in an effort to acknowledge colonial histories within the museum

The Victoria and Albert Museum will open its first African fashion exhibition this week, more than 170 years after it was founded.

Featuring designers who have worked with names including Beyoncé and architect David Adjaye, Africa Fashion aims to look across the fashion of the continent, exhibiting designs, photographs and films from 25 of the 54 countries.

Continue reading...

Ghislaine Maxwell prosecutors seek up to 55-year sentence for sex trafficking

Maxwell, 60, faces 30 to 55 years in prison after she was found guilty of procuring teenage girls for Jeffrey Epstein to abuse

Ghislaine Maxwell is scheduled to be sentenced on Tuesday morning in her New York sex-trafficking case, some six months after a jury found the British socialite guilty of luring teenage girls into Jeffrey Epstein’s orbit for him to abuse.

Maxwell, 60, faces up to 55 years in prison.

Continue reading...