‘No one listened’: mother of Cheshire boy kidnapped by father says she warned authorities

Ibrahim Faraj, seven, was abducted and taken to Saudi Arabia in November

A woman whose seven-year-old son was kidnapped by his father and taken to Saudi Arabia has said she repeatedly warned authorities it would happen but “no one listened”.

Ranem Elkhalidi has not seen or spoken to Ibrahim Faraj since November, when he was abducted by his father, Hamzah Faraj, in breach of a court order.

Continue reading...

UK immigration stats: headline figure will not tell the whole story

Release on Thursday has already prompted responses from politicians but complex factors behind probable rise in numbers coming

The release of official statistics is often the focus of political scrutiny, but the latest annual figures for overall net migration to the UK, due Thursday at 9.30am, are sufficiently anticipated they have prompted two separate policy announcements already.

On Tuesday, Suella Braverman rushed through a plan to reduce the number of people arriving via student visas by greatly limiting the scope for them to bring along family members.

Continue reading...

UK funding cuts to east Africa ‘insulting and shortsighted’, say aid organisations

NGOs dismayed at reduction in Britain’s contribution as crisis-hit region faces challenges from drought, rising prices and conflict

The UK has been accused of taking the “insulting and shortsighted” decision to cut humanitarian aid to east Africa at a time of chronic drought, conflict and rising food prices.

At a United Nations pledging conference in New York on Wednesday, which the UK is co-chairing, Andrew Mitchell, the UK’s international development minister, announced a humanitarian aid package to the region of £143m.

Continue reading...

Staff work in central London offices for 2.3 days a week, study finds

Thinktank warns against wholesale switch to working from home and raises fears over lost productivity in capital

Office workers in central London are spending on average 2.3 days a week in the workplace, according to a report that warns against a wholesale switch to working from home.

The thinktank Centre for Cities carried out polling of office workers in the capital and found they were spending 59% of the time in their workplace compared with pre-Covid levels.

Continue reading...

Major reforms to Welsh care system needed, finds Senedd committee

Report raises concerns about near 23% rise in children in care over 10 years amid serious shortage of social workers

Radical reforms to the care system in Wales are needed to address a “shocking” rise in the number of looked after children, a Welsh parliament committee has concluded.

The committee said the number of children in care was up by almost 23% since 2013 while at the same time there were shortages of qualified social workers.

Continue reading...

Braverman announces new limits on overseas students bringing family to UK

Only students on courses designated as research programmes will be able to bring dependants under home secretary’s policy

Suella Braverman has rushed out stringent curbs on international students who come to study in the UK amid growing pressure on the home secretary over her conduct in office.

Under proposals released in parliament on Tuesday, overseas students will no longer be able to bring family with them except under specific circumstances as the government seeks to reduce immigration numbers.

Continue reading...

Justin Welby proposes amendments to ‘morally unacceptable’ illegal migration bill

Archbishop of Canterbury calls on ministers to implement strategies on human trafficking and the refugee crisis

The archbishop of Canterbury has proposed two amendments to the government’s flagship illegal migration bill that he had earlier deemed “morally unacceptable”.

With the controversial plans to enter the committee stage in the House of Lords on Wednesday, Justin Welby called on ministers to implement 10-year strategies for tackling human trafficking and for an international collaboration to solving the refugee crises.

Continue reading...

Police admit following e-bike before crash that killed Cardiff teenagers

South Wales force refers itself to police watchdog following deaths of Kyrees Sullivan and Harvey Evans

Police are facing serious questions and community anger after taking almost 24 hours to admit potential involvement in the pursuit of two teenagers, whose deaths sparked riots in Cardiff.

Kyrees Sullivan, 16, and Harvey Evans, 15, were killed in the Ely area of the city just after 6pm on Monday, minutes after CCTV footage appeared to show them being followed by a police van as they rode together on an e-bike.

Continue reading...

Netflix crackdown on password sharing reaches the UK

Streaming company tells millions of British subscribers that the service can no longer be used free by other households

Netflix has begun its crackdown on the millions of UK subscribers who share their passwords with friends and family who live outside of their household.

The streaming company has sent a letter to almost four million British subscribers that it has identified as giving friends and family members outside their home free access.

Continue reading...

Madeleine McCann: Portuguese and German police begin searching reservoir site

Operation at site about 30 miles from where three-year-old went missing in 2007 is expected to last two days

Portuguese and German police launched a search of the banks of a reservoir in the Algarve for Madeleine McCann after photographs and video of the site were said to have been found in the possession of a man suspected of involvement in the child’s disappearance 16 years ago.

Officers with pickaxes, chainsaws and rakes started to examine the barren spot and surrounding woods by the Barragem do Arade reservoir in Portugal on Tuesday morning, fanning out across a piece of land roughly 500 sq metres in size.

Continue reading...

Angela Rayner asks ‘how many strikes before Suella Braverman is out’ over claims home secretary broke ministerial code – live

Angela Rayner tables question about criteria for launching investigation into potential breach of ministerial code

And here are some of the lines from what Rishi Sunak has been saying at the London defence conference.

Sunak said the challenge posed by China should not lead to a “blanket descent into protectionism”. He said that China’s rise represented an “epoch-defining challenge”. He explained:

It is a country that has both the means and the intent to reshape the global order.

Its behaviour is increasingly authoritarian at home and assertive abroad and in light of that we do need to take the steps to protect ourselves.

There are a limited number of very sensitive sectors of our economy, or types of technology, where we want to take a particularly robust approach: semiconductors, for example, dual-use technologies, quantum, etc.

But this is not an excuse for a blanket descent into protectionism.

He said that G7 countries should not be engaged in subsidy competition. Asked whether the UK needed an industrial strategy, he replied:

That means different things to different people. If that means we should just be focusing on who can subsidise industries the most, then my answer is no.

We discussed that at the G7 and actually you will see in the G7 communique very specific language acknowledging that subsidy races that essentially just shift industrial capacity between allies in some kind of zero-sum competition are not appropriate.

Continue reading...

Man jailed for life for murdering schoolgirl Nikki Allan in 1992

David Boyd must serve at least 29 years for killing seven-year-old he stabbed 37 times

A child killer who brutally murdered a “bright and sparky” seven-year-old girl and managed to escape justice for more than 30 years has been sentenced to life in prison.

A judge on Tuesday ruled that David Boyd must serve a minimum term of 29 years for the murder of Nikki Allan.

Continue reading...

King Charles and Prince William face fight over taxpayer funds on Dartmoor

More than £13m of subsidies mainly paid to tenants of Duchy of Cornwall have done little to restore nature in national park

King Charles and Prince William could be dragged into a bitter fight over £13m of taxpayer funds paid over the past decade for nature restoration on Dartmoor national park.

The funds have partly been paid to tenants farming land in the national park that is owned by the Duchy of Cornwall, a land and property estate controlled by the heir to the throne.

Continue reading...

Cardiff riots: social media rumours about crash started unrest, says police commissioner

South Wales PCC says false reports police pursuit led to road crash that killed two teenagers fuelled ‘large-scale disorder’

False rumours on social media blaming police for the deaths of two teenagers in a crash in Cardiff triggered riots that led to at least 12 police officers being injured, a policing chief has said.

Alun Michael, the South Wales police and crime commissioner (PCC), told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme there was a road traffic collision involving two teenagers on an off-road bike or scooter and that both had died.

Continue reading...

South West Water under investigation over leaks and usage figures

Shares in owner Pennon Group fall as it says Ofwat has launched inquiry into South West Water

South West Water is being investigated by the industry regulator over whether it accurately reported leaks and figures showing how much water is used by its customers.

Pennon Group, which owns South West Water and Bristol Water Group, told its shareholders Ofwat had announced an investigation into the company’s operational performance during 2021 and 2022.

Continue reading...

From children’s entertainer to convicted criminal: the downfall of Rolf Harris

He had personal audiences with Queen Elizabeth II and held national treasure status – until the world discovered the awful truth

When Rolf Harris died at 93, he ended his life as a convicted paedophile. Since his release from prison in 2017, after serving almost three years, he had lived as a virtual recluse with his wife of 64 years, Alwen Hughes. He had neck cancer, and the only visitors to their house in Bray, Berkshire were carers and nurses.

It was a long way from his days as a national treasure. Once, the artist, musician and entertainer had spent much of his time visiting Buckingham Palace to collect a series of honours. He made two appearances on the UK version of This Is Your Life and performed his music at high-profile gigs across the country. His paintings, which once fetched six-figure sums, can now be picked up for a fraction of their former value.

Continue reading...

Rolf Harris, convicted sex offender and entertainer, dies aged 93

Australian-born artist and musician was jailed for sexual assaults on children after a 50-year career as one of Britain’s best-known TV performers

The entertainer Rolf Harris, whose career as one of the best-loved performers on British TV ended in the disgrace of convictions for indecent assault on teenage girls, has died aged 93.

In October 2022, it was reported that Harris had neck cancer and was barely able to speak. His death was confirmed by a registrar at Maidenhead town hall, close to his family home in the Berkshire village of Bray.

Continue reading...

Buckingham Palace declines to return remains of ‘stolen’ Ethiopian prince, say reports

Prince Alemayehu, who was taken to England after his father’s citadel was looted, was buried at Windsor Castle in 19th century

Buckingham Palace has reportedly declined a request to return the remains of an Ethiopian prince who came to be buried at Windsor Castle in the 19th century.

Prince Alemayehu, a claimed descendant of the biblical King Solomon, was taken to England – some say “stolen” – after British soldiers looted his father’s imperial citadel after the Battle of Maqdala in 1868.

Continue reading...

UK special forces have operated secretly in 19 countries since 2011

Exclusive: Extensive deployments ‘raise serious concerns about transparency’, says research group Action on Armed Violence

SAS and other British special forces have been involved in covert operations in 19 countries in the past dozen years, including in Nigeria, the Philippines and Russia, as well as in Syria, Ukraine and most recently Sudan, a study reveals.

The elite military units operate in secret, without ministers publicly confirming their activities. But a research group, Action on Armed Violence, has compiled a list of their activities since 2011 based on media leaks.

Continue reading...

Dominic Raab to stand down as MP at next election

Former deputy PM not planning to contest Esher and Walton seat, after quitting cabinet over bullying claims

Dominic Raab will stand down as an MP at the next general election, weeks after he quit Rishi Sunak’s cabinet over bullying claims.

The former deputy prime minister, who was elected to parliament in 2010, served as foreign secretary during the botched evacuation from Afghanistan when he was heavily criticised for being on holiday as the extraction was organised.

Continue reading...