Team Starmer ‘here to win’ as Labour sets its sights on a May 2024 election

Three years after Jeremy Corbyn left a sleeping bag behind, the leader of the opposition’s office is full of ‘bright, energetic, hungry people’

Keir Starmer’s team had a few moments to reminisce about the past three years at their regular morning meeting on Tuesday, with one senior aide recalling when their winning leadership team first walked into the leader of the opposition’s office.

It had only just been vacated by Jeremy Corbyn’s team and in one room, there were assorted revolutionary flags including one from the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament. In the next room there was a large bin full to the brim with shredded documents spilling on to the floor. In Corbyn’s office was a sleeping bag. “You could not have pictured a more symbolic scene,” they said.

Continue reading...

UK’s status as cinematic powerhouse at risk, warns Oscar winner David Puttnam

In speech to Bafta, Chariots of Fire producer says industry must invest ‘far more’ to close yawning skills gap

The Oscar-winning producer David Puttnam has issued a rallying cry to the film industry to address its yawning skills gap and grow audiences before the UK is eclipsed as a cinematic powerhouse.

In a speech to Bafta on Tuesday, Puttnam – the president of the Film Distributors’ Association (FDA) and a former peer – urged the industry to “invest far more” in its workforce to retain international competitiveness.

Continue reading...

Only official civilian victim of UK’s bombing campaign against IS appears not to exist

Contradictions over missions in Syria and Iraq deepens concern over Britain’s ‘perfect’ precision war

It sounded like accountability. Pressed about the UK’s implausibly spotless record in its bombing campaign against Islamic State in Syria and Iraq, the British government admitted in May 2018 that its military had killed one civilian in eastern Syria two months earlier.

But the strike the then defence secretary, Gavin Williamson, described to parliament was not logged in the records of civilian casualties kept by its allies in the international coalition flying bombers and drones over Syria and Iraq.

Continue reading...

Family of UK woman with Alzheimer’s vow to stop deportation from Sweden

Swedish police pressing ahead with removal of Kathleen Poole, 74, due to incomplete post-Brexit paperwork

The family of a woman with Alzheimer’s who is threatened with deportation from Sweden have vowed to do anything they can to stop her removal because of a promise they made to their children.

Kathleen Poole, 74, is facing forced removal from Sweden, her home for 18 years, after immigration authorities rejected an application by her family to stay in the country post-Brexit on the grounds her paperwork was incomplete.

Continue reading...

BBC under threat politically under Conservatives, says Ian McEwan

Novelist compares UK to Hungary in Radio Times interview, while Ken Bruce criticises handling of Radio 2 exit

The BBC is “under threat, politically,” the novelist Ian McEwan has said, as he compared sections of the Conservative party to the populist right in Hungary.

The author of Amsterdam, On Chesil Beach and Atonement recently collaborated with the BBC Symphony Orchestra for an evening of words and music at the Barbican. The event came as the BBC’s classical music performing groups faced “catastrophic” cuts, and the corporation’s high-profile presenters including Gary Lineker clashed with the government over its policies.

Continue reading...

Calls for energy ‘social tariff’ as UK government support ends

Low-income household will spend on average £200 more on bills than last year, Which? warns

Some of the UK’s least well-off households could be left more than £200 worse-off on their energy bills this year because of reduced government support, the consumer body Which? has warned.

Joining calls made by other campaigners, it said the government urgently needed to introduce a “social tariff” for gas and electricity to protect the most financially vulnerable.

Continue reading...

Home Office to announce barge as accommodation for asylum seekers

The Bibby Stockholm is said to have more than 220 bedrooms and facilities including a gym and bar

The Home Office is poised to reveal a barge as its first offshore accommodation for asylum seekers, the Guardian understands.

The Bibby Stockholm has been used “all over Europe” to accommodate asylum seekers, according to sources close to the Barbados Maritime ship registry, which oversees the use of this vessel. It currently has a gym, a well-furnished bar and more than 220 en-suite bedrooms over three decks.

Continue reading...

England’s top beaches faced 8,500 hours of sewage dumping last year, study says

Many blue flag beaches were covered in waste, and Brighton was among the worst-hit, Lib Dem report shows

England’s most celebrated beaches faced 8,500 hours of sewage dumping last year, new figures show.

Many beaches with blue flag status– an international mark of recognition that a beach is deemed safe and has good water quality – were found to have been covered in waste over the last 12 months.

Continue reading...

Nigel Lawson: former Conservative chancellor dies aged 91

Lawson served in a number of cabinet roles in Margaret Thatcher’s government during a political career spanning 18 years

Tributes have poured in for the former Conservative chancellor Nigel Lawson, who has died at the age of 91.

Lawson was the MP for the Blaby constituency from 1974 to 1992 and served in numerous cabinet positions in the government of Margaret Thatcher.

Continue reading...

‘She was my shadow’: full statement from Olivia Pratt-Korbel’s mother

Cheryl Korbel pays tribute to her daughter after her killer was jailed for a minimum of 42 years

Cheryl Korbel, the mother of Olivia Pratt-Korbel who was murdered by Thomas Cashman in August 2022, fought back tears as she read her victim impact statement at Manchester crown court.

This is what she said:

This is Liv [the patchwork teddy bear she was holding]. She was made by a lovely lady called Nessa. She was actually made out of Liv’s pyjamas that she lay in when she was in Snowdrops next door to Alder Hey [children’s hospital in Liverpool]. She now shares my bed of a night with me.

I was 36 and already a mum to Ryan who was 13 and Chloe who was eight when I found out I was pregnant. I was shocked. I never thought I would be starting again after nine years.

In October 2012 my mum found out she was pregnant and that started my journey to being a big sister.

Our precious little Olivia was born on 13 June 2013, which was five days after my birthday.

Continue reading...

Olivia Pratt-Korbel’s killer Thomas Cashman won’t appear in court for murder sentencing – latest updates

Drug dealer, 34, convicted of killing little girl when he burst into her family home in Liverpool last August

Cheryl Korbel, Olivia’s mother, is presently reading her personal statement before the court.

“One thing I miss most is hearing her say ‘mum’, I just miss hearing her voice, it’s just so quiet,” she said tearfully. “It’s so very lonely without her, everything is just so quiet, I can’t cope with the silence.”

Continue reading...

Rishi Sunak refuses to back Braverman’s widely criticised claim about racial nature of grooming gangs – live

Prime minister says offenders have been protected by ‘political correctness’ as he announces ‘grooming gangs taskforce’

Starmer says he has not talked to Jeremy Corbyn for two and a half years.

Q: Is he a friend?

Continue reading...

Deadline to sell off UK government’s NatWest shares extended to 2025

Recent banking turmoil fuels decision to delay offloading portions of its remaining 41% stake

A plan to whittle down the government’s stake in NatWest has been extended by another two years, after weeks of banking turmoil that hit the lender’s shares and temporarily fuelled fears over a fresh financial crisis.

UK Government Investments (UKGI), which manages the shares on behalf of the Treasury, said the scheme to strategically sell portions of the British taxpayer’s shareholding – after NatWest’s near-£46bn state bailout in 2008 – would now run until August 2025.

Continue reading...

No 10 denies using dog-whistle politics in grooming gangs crackdown

Rishi Sunak claims victims previously ignored ‘due to cultural sensitivity and political correctness’

Downing Street has denied using dog-whistle generalisations to launch a crackdown on grooming gangs, after the NSPCC and experts warned that framing the issue as one based on ethnicity could hamper efforts to tackle it.

After Suella Braverman said “almost all” members of such gangs were British Pakistani men who held attitudes incompatible with British values, critics pointed to a 2020 Home Office report that concluded it was impossible to say if any particular ethnic group was disproportionately represented in such offending.

Continue reading...

Revealed: new claims of sexual misconduct and ‘toxic culture’ at CBI

Exclusive: More than a dozen women raise concerns about different men – with one woman alleging she was raped at staff party

More than a dozen women claim to have been victims of various forms of sexual misconduct by senior figures at the Confederation of British Industry, including one who alleges she was raped at a staff party on a boat on the River Thames.

The women, who all work at the CBI or worked there in recent years, approached the Guardian with fresh concerns about what they describe as a toxic culture at Britain’s most influential business lobbying organisation.

An attempted sexual assault by a manager at the same staff boat party in 2019.

A senior manager sending explicit images to junior female staff over several years.

Other senior managers behaving unprofessionally and inappropriately towards much younger female colleagues: alleged instances include a former board member touching a female employee’s bottom and making what was seen as a sexualised remark to another woman in earshot of several colleagues.

A manager propositioning women after they felt he pushed them to drink more alcohol, while they were already drunk.

Widespread use of cocaine at official CBI events.

Continue reading...

Inquiry into novichok death of Dawn Sturgess to begin in autumn 2024

Exclusive: date set for start of long-awaited hearing into Wiltshire woman’s 2018 poisoning

The long-awaited independent inquiry into the death of Dawn Sturgess in the Wiltshire novichok poisonings will begin in autumn 2024, the Guardian can reveal.

Sturgess’s father, Stan Sturgess, expressed relief that a date had been set and said he hoped it would mean that those responsible for the attack would be held to account.

Continue reading...

Two Britons held by Taliban speak to families for first time since arrest

Calls described as ‘great relief’ after Kevin Cornwell, 53, and an unnamed man were detained in Afghanistan

The families of two British men held in custody by the Taliban in Afghanistan have been able to speak to them for the first time since their arrest.

Kevin Cornwell, a 53-year-old charity medic, and another British national, who has not been named, were detained by the Taliban’s secret police on 11 January.

Continue reading...

Thousands queue at Dover for second day as Braverman accused of denial

Home secretary says Brexit did not cause chaos seen at port as angry customers see trips cancelled

Thousands of people have faced a second day stuck in queues at Dover, as Suella Braverman denied post-Brexit checks were to blame for the chaos.

Despite extra sailings put in place overnight on Saturday, P&O Ferries said on Sunday afternoon that coaches arriving at cruise terminal 1 would likely face a total wait of over 10 hours.

Continue reading...

‘Gutted and livid’: parents vent anger over children caught in Dover chaos

Families of pupils whose foreign trips were cancelled owing to the delays blame border staff, Brexit and ferry companies

Among those angered by the delays at Dover were parents of children setting off on school trips who had to wait for hours on coaches, in some cases only to have to turn back.

Nicola Eslick, 51, from Brighton, pointed the finger at those in charge of border controls after her 14-year-old son had his school trip cancelled on Sunday morning as a result of the chaos at Dover, approximately 14 hours after departing.

Continue reading...

Only surviving fragment of ‘slave’ cloth found in Derbyshire record office

Exclusive: 240-year-old scrap of indigo woollen cloth identified as fabric made in Yorkshire to clothe millions of enslaved people

It is a scrap of indigo woollen cloth that is slightly moth-eaten and so tiny that few would give it a second glance, but a 1783 note on its reverse has revealed its chilling significance.

Discovered in a public record office in England, it has been identified as the only surviving fragment of its kind used to clothe millions of enslaved people in the Caribbean and North America for almost 200 years. This coarse fabric, known as “slave” or “negro” cloth, was woven in West Yorkshire, close to the town of Penistone, from which it derives its name.

Continue reading...