- Iran war day 85: Tehran says major gaps remain in US talks Al Jazeera
- Iran war live: Tehran sends ‘mixed’ messages as mediators depart Iran Al Jazeera
- Araghchi tells UN chief that US is making ‘repeated excessive demands’ The Times of Israel
- Iran says talks not necessarily close to agreement despite Munir's visit ایران اینترنشنال
- Middle East live: Iran in ‘final stage’ of drafting framework for US deal, state media reports France 24
Albanese joins coalition of nations calling for an end to Israeli settlement expansion in the West Bank
Australia joins the UK, Italy, France, Germany, Canada, Norway, the Netherlands and New Zealand in condemning illegal settlements
Get our breaking news email, free app or daily news podcast
The Israeli government is undermining stability in the West Bank as settler violence reaches unprecedented levels, a coalition of western countries says, as its leaders call for an end to construction of Israeli settlements it says breach international law.
In a joint statement issued on Friday, Anthony Albanese and the leaders of the UK, Italy, France, Germany, Canada, Norway, the Netherlands and New Zealand said:
Continue reading...Burn-like rashes and hunger: Gaza’s children face skin disease crisis
Trump releases new batch of previously classified UFO files
Jacinta Allan launches state-sponsored apprenticeships at Victoria’s Labor conference ahead of election
The premier is offering 2,000 apprenticeships at the revived State Electricity Commission as part of a pre-election push
Get our breaking news email, free app or daily news podcast
Jacinta Allan has used Labor’s final state conference before the election to announce a plan for a government-owned electricity body to hire apprentices to address significant workforce shortages and job insecurity.
The Victorian premier announced the plan in a speech that drew on her father’s experience as a linesman at the State Electricity Commission (SEC), which was revived by Daniel Andrews in 2023 after being privatised by former premier Jeff Kennett in the 1990s.
Continue reading...Stephen Hawking’s father worried his son ‘does not study much’, diaries reveal
Exclusive: New biography uncovers Frank Hawking’s papers in which he lamented that his son had ‘little initiative’
In exploring the physics and geometry of the universe, Stephen Hawking became a world-renowned pioneer of black hole theory, writing the bestselling book A Brief History of Time, which has sold more than 13m copies, and inspiring people to “look up at the stars and not down at your feet”.
But, during Hawking’s student years and as he approached adulthood, his father was deeply concerned about how his son would turn out. Frank Hawking lamented that “he hangs round the house with little initiative and does not study much”, according to previously unknown diaries that he had written partly in code.
Continue reading...Anthony Albanese visibly emotional after defending Labor’s capital gains tax and negative gearing changes
Prime minister launches impassioned argument in favour of much-maligned reforms announced in last week’s federal budget
Get our breaking news email, free app or daily news podcast
A visibly emotional Anthony Albanese has launched an impassioned defence of Labor’s proposed changes to negative gearing, the capital gains tax discount and family trusts, saying he will “not allow Australia to become a country where aspiration is only for some”.
The prime minister has faced sustained criticism to the reforms, which include limiting negative gearing to new-builds while grandfathering existing properties, changing how CGT is calculated and imposing a new 30% minimum tax on discretionary trusts.
Continue reading...Over 1.6 million pilgrims arrive in Saudi Arabia for hajj pilgrimage
Are India and Pakistan quietly preparing to restart dialogue?
Why are anti-migrant attacks increasing in South Africa?
Israeli strikes in Lebanon killed 10, including six paramedics, health ministry says
Lebanon’s health ministry condemns attacks as violations of international law; Israel says it struck Hezbollah infrastructure sites and militants
Israeli strikes in Lebanon killed 10 people, including six paramedics and a child, in the space of 24 hours, Lebanon’s health ministry said on Friday, placing further strain on a US-brokered ceasefire. The ministry condemned the attacks as violations of international law.
Further airstrikes were reported on Friday night into Saturday. An AFP correspondent in the southern city of Tyre reported hearing two blasts as one building on the outskirts was struck, then another inside the city, sending plumes of smoke into the air. Earlier, officials worked to evacuate people from the neighbourhood, using loudspeakers urging them to leave.
Continue reading...Some fear US-Philippines war games are drawing conflict closer to home
Moment SpaceX rocket explodes in the Indian Ocean after splashdown
Tulsi Gabbard resigns as Trump’s top US intelligence official
Trump Mobile investigating potential exposure of would-be customers’ personal information
Phone company launched by Donald Trump’s family says names and contact details appear to be affected, but not credit card or banking information
A phone company launched by Donald Trump’s family business is investigating a potential security flaw on its website that appears to have exposed the personal details of an estimated 27,000 people who sought to buy a gold-coloured smartphone.
Trump Mobile said in a statement that it was investigating the issue – “with the assistance of independent cybersecurity professionals” – in which the full names, addresses and phone numbers of people who filled out preorder forms appeared to be exposed.
Continue reading...More than 40,000 Californians evacuated due to chemical tank leak
SpaceX launches massive Starship V3 rocket on test flight
Three die in ‘horrific’ south Sydney vehicle crash after police welfare check
A 42-year-old fled from police before being involved in a two-vehicle crash in Sans Souci, police say
Get our breaking news email, free app or daily news podcast
Three people have died in a crash in Sydney after a man fled from police who had been attempting to carry out a welfare check.
Police officers had been called to a property in Gymea Bay, southern Sydney, at 12.25am on Saturday. When they arrived, a 42-year-old man drove away in a white Audi, New South Wales police said.
Continue reading...