Judge orders ICE to release Minneapolis man after 50 days of unlawful detention
Arrest of asylum seeker Elvis Joel TE and his two-year-old, without a warrant, had sparked widespread outrage
A federal judge ruled on Friday that Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) must release a Minneapolis man and asylum seeker who has been unlawfully detained for 50 days.
The man, identified as Elvis Joel TE in court filings, was arrested on 22 January at the height of ICE’s aggressive raids in Minneapolis. The case sparked widespread outrage as Elvis TE was detained with his two-year-old daughter while they were returning home from the store, and ICE quickly flew both of them to Texas despite a court order barring their transfer out of Minnesota.
Continue reading...Leqaa Kordia, a pro-Palestinian activist, released after a year in ICE custody
Kordia was taken at a check-in at an ICE office in New Jersey and was held despite court ruling thrice for her release
A New Jersey woman who had been arrested at a pro-Palestine protest and booked into a US immigration detention center in Texas last March has been released on bond, after a year in custody.
Leqaa Kordia, 33, originally from the West Bank, was arrested in April 2024 at a protest against Israel’s war on Gaza outside of Columbia University. Nearly a year later, she was taken into custody after reporting for a check-in at a Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) office in New Jersey.
Continue reading...Train delays: compensation claims to be easier under Great British Railways
Refund systems for individual train operators to be merged into single service under nationalised rail body
Rail passengers will be able to claim compensation for delayed trains directly from the website where they bought their ticket, the government has said, as part of a shake-up to make rail travel simpler.
Passengers who use third-party retailers such as Trainline to buy tickets currently, have to submit applications for refunds to the relevant train operator for processing.
Continue reading...Trump seeks to delay China summit as Vance denies ‘wedge’ over Iran war
Pair attempt to strike united front amid reports vice-president skeptical over US-Israeli attack on Iran
Donald Trump revealed that he had asked China to delay his forthcoming visit to Beijing while the war with Iran was continuing, as he attempted to strike a united front on Monday with his vice-president JD Vance, who is believed to have been skeptical over attacking Tehran’s regime.
Appearing together with Vance for the first time in two weeks, Trump said he did not think the conflict – which started on 28 February after the US and Israel opened hostilities – would be over this week but predicted victory would be achieved soon.
Continue reading...Trump Makes Bombshell Confession He Was Shocked at Middle East War Escalation – The Daily Beast
- Trump Makes Bombshell Confession He Was Shocked at Middle East War Escalation The Daily Beast
- Trump was warned of likely Iranian retaliation on Gulf allies, sources say Reuters
- Trump’s Claim About the Obama Nuclear Deal and Iran’s Nuclear Development FactCheck.org
- Trump 'Shocked' That Iran Attacked Gulf Neighbors in Retaliatory Strikes Haaretz
- Trump Says Iran Could "Blow Up The Entire Middle East" If It Gets Nukes NDTV
From tornadoes to blizzards, severe weather batters parts of the US
Cannabis is not an effective treatment for common mental health conditions, says review
International researchers find ‘very little evidence’ medical form of the drug can treat anxiety, anorexia and other disorders
Cannabis is not an effective treatment for common mental health conditions despite the global surge in patients using it for that purpose, a review has found.
Researchers concluded there was “very little evidence for its efficacy” in treating anxiety, anorexia nervosa, psychotic disorders, post-traumatic stress disorder or opioid use disorder.
Continue reading...Thousands of flights canceled as winter storm marches across US
Storm system dumps snow in midwest and threatens east coast with high winds and possible ‘long-track tornadoes’
A late winter storm continued a destructive, elemental march across the eastern US, with thousands of flights canceled or delayed as powerful winds combined with a partial government shutdown delayed travelers passing through airport security scanners.
Flight delays and cancellations mounted at some of the nation’s largest airports, including in New York, Chicago and Atlanta. Flight delays within, into, or out of the US totaled 9,112 by late afternoon, with cancellations standing at 4,763, according to FlightAware, a flight tracking website.
Continue reading...Trump asks China if visit to Beijing can be delayed a month due to Iran war
US president had earlier hinted trip could be put on hold if President Xi does not help unblock the strait of Hormuz
Trump has asked to delay his planned visit to Beijing by about a month due to the Iran war, after earlier hinting he might put the trip off if his prospective hosts do not help to unblock the strait of Hormuz.
The US president’s summit with China’s leader, Xi Jinping, was meant to take place at the end of March but Trump told reporters in the White House on Monday: “Because of the war I want to be here, I have to be here, I feel. And so we’ve requested that we delay it a month or so.”
Continue reading...Israel Killed Over a Dozen Lebanese Paramedics in Three Days, Now Claiming That Ambulances Are “Hezbollah” Targets – Givebutter
- Israel Killed Over a Dozen Lebanese Paramedics in Three Days, Now Claiming That Ambulances Are “Hezbollah” Targets Givebutter
- Israel strikes and destroys building in heart of Beirut BBC
- Israeli strikes in central Beirut kill six people, Lebanese authorities say Reuters
- Israel Invades Lebanon, Opening New Front Against Iran WSJ
- Why Israel targets Beirut’s Dahiyeh and what the suburb means to Lebanon Al Jazeera
European leaders warn Israel against ground offensive in Lebanon – politico.eu
- European leaders warn Israel against ground offensive in Lebanon politico.eu
- Canada, France, Germany, UK warn against major Israeli ground offensive in Lebanon Reuters
- Israeli ground offensive in Lebanon is an ‘error,’ German chancellor says The Times of Israel
- Major European states urge Israel not to invade Lebanon as a million displaced Haaretz
- Robles contacts the UNIFIL contingent and Albares states that the situation in Lebanon is “a disgrace to humanity” thediplomatinspain.com
At least 200 American troops wounded in Iran war, US military says
Details from US Central Command come as 13 US service members and more than 1,300 Iranians have been killed
At least 200 US troops have been injured in the US-Israeli war on Iran, a US military spokesperson said on Monday.
“Since the start of Operation Epic Fury, approximately 200 US service members have been wounded,” US Central Command spokesperson Cpt Tim Hawkins told the Guardian via email.
Continue reading...